Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I doubt it. Look at what happened to Charlie Sheen and Mel Gibson in Hollywood when they crossed that line.

It looks like overweight people, women, Christians are fair game. Muslims are definitely protected, as are Jewish people in Hollywood (probably not elsewhere).
    There is a huge difference between a TV show doing a send up of the social politics of a subculture and a vulgar and stupid rant against the worldwide Jewish conspiracy.

One is a joke, the other isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Some Christians are idiots and bigots. You can't support a claim that Christians are disproportionately portrayed as such. Are you complaining because there are idiots and bigots expressing themselves in a religious framework or excuse platform and that they are represented on TV?
    Show me one recent network TV show where Christians are portrayed positively.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    Some atheists are idiots and bigots. Do you ever see that on TV?
    Yes.

Most Christians are neither idiots nor bigots, ever see ANY of that on TV?
    Yes, I do and you do too. Are they wearing signs that say, "Decent, open minded, well behaved Christian"? No. But they don't in real life either.

Not that she was the first or the last, but because she was one of the better known, Edith Bunker went to church every Sunday, the camera didn't go with her because Episcopalian church is boring. Archie rarely went to church, and never pronounced the name of the Rev Fletcher correctly, but the camera followed him into church because he insisted on baptizing grandson Joey. He then embraced "judy-ism" when both his partner and his niece were Jewish.

All the women on Designing Women went to church every Sunday and Julia sang in the choir.

Sophia Petrillo goes to mass every Sunday.

There is the entire show of Touched By An Angel and at least two versions of Michael Landon in addition to Little House getting increasingly religious.

Carmella Soprano is a study in Christian struggle.

The Hill family goes to church every Sunday (King Of The Hill)

Aunt Esther (Sanford and Son) was comedic, but she was not an idiot. Neither was Sherman Hemsley or anyone in the cast of Amen!

There's some TV show about a pastor, I can't remember the name.
    There are several channels which run nothing but Christian promotion.

Are you old enough to remember any of them??
    Yeah. Everyone on Peyton Place was Christian.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Show me one recent network TV show where Christians are portrayed positively.

Define "portrayed positively". Don't dodge, or make some stupid remark about the definition of "is", defining your terms is an element of debate. What qualifies as a positive portrayal? Do they have to be identified as Christian? Do they have to go to church on camera? What do you want from these people? Most people don't walk around with a sign that says, "Good Christian!!!" in flashing lights, and contrary to some denominations most of them don't have a bumper sticker or emblem on their car suggesting that either.

Yes.

Yes, I do and you do too. Are they wearing signs that say, "Decent, open minded, well behaved Christian"? No. But they don't in real life either.

Not that she was the first or the last, but because she was one of the better known, Edith Bunker went to church every Sunday, the camera didn't go with her because Episcopalian church is boring. Archie rarely went to church, and never pronounced the name of the Rev Fletcher correctly, but the camera followed him into church because he insisted on baptizing grandson Joey. He then embraced "judy-ism" when both his partner and his niece were Jewish.
    All in the Family ended in Sept 1979

All the women on Designing Women went to church every Sunday and Julia sang in the choir.
    ended 1993

died in 1995

There is the entire show of Touched By An Angel and at least two versions of Michael Landon in addition to Little House getting increasingly religious.
    Touched by an Angel was not Christian in nature, and Little House basically ended in 1983

The wife of a Mafia boss is a POSTIVE portrayal of Christianity?

Now there are some positive Christians, never portrayed as foolish, bigoted, dumb. Nah. Never.

Aunt Esther (Sanford and Son) was comedic, but she was not an idiot. Neither was Sherman Hemsley or anyone in the cast of Amen!

I see you've never seen that show. Even an idiot couldn't mistake everyone on Peyton Place for any kind of Christian.

Now that you've come up with a list of supposed Christians that were largely portrayed as either very mousy or very obnoxious....and at that were all from 20 years ago, try finding a positive, true to life portrayal of actual Christians. Just one, of actual Christians that take their kids to church at least once a week, don't screw around, stay married,are not stupid nor bigoted, skip most TV shows and movies because of the content, tithe and donate time and money to causes. There are millions of Christians that live that life, but you won't see a one portrayed that way on TV...unless they happen to play "Facing the Giants" or "Fireproof." You can see atheists, gays, and women portrayed that way, but few men, even fewer white men, and no Christians.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Yes.

lots of OLD shows. You left out the show AMEN with Sherman Hemsley. Little house on the Prairie, and Highway to Heaven. How many of them are on the air currently? How many were on the air in the last 10 years?
    Last edited by PoliCon; 03-05-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Define "portrayed positively". Don't dodge, or make some stupid remark about the definition of "is", defining your terms is an element of debate. What qualifies as a positive portrayal? Do they have to be identified as Christian? Do they have to go to church on camera? What do you want from these people? Most people don't walk around with a sign that says, "Good Christian!!!" in flashing lights, and contrary to some denominations most of them don't have a bumper sticker or emblem on their car suggesting that either.
    A show where overtly Christian Characters are not portrayed as bigoted, stupid, or otherwise negatively. Not that I watch much TV - but the only overtly Christian Character I can think of on a current TV show would be Sheldon's mother on Big Bang Theory - and she is portrayed as backwards, bigoted, and stupid.

Fabulous Poster
    Now that you've come up with a list of supposed Christians that were largely portrayed as either very mousy or very obnoxious....and at that were all from 20 years ago, try finding a positive, true to life portrayal of actual Christians. Just one, of actual Christians that take their kids to church at least once a week, don't screw around, stay married,are not stupid nor bigoted, skip most TV shows and movies because of the content, tithe and donate time and money to causes. There are millions of Christians that live that life, but you won't see a one portrayed that way on TV...unless they happen to play "Facing the Giants" or "Fireproof." You can see atheists, gays, and women portrayed that way, but few men, even fewer white men, and no Christians.
    I watch reruns. The fact that these shows run continuously means that Christians are positively portrayed on TV.

So your next move is to claim that none of these Christians are your kind of Christian. That's called the No True Scotsman tactic, and it's BS. So I waste my time putting together a list, and you find a way of discounting each of them so it will validate your persecution complex. Wrong.

Elliott Stabler is a devout Catholic who has been faithful and married to the same woman since he was 17 years old.

How about this one Nova: Name one show where the name of Jesus is mentioned as something other than a curse.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    A show where overtly Christian Characters are not portrayed as bigoted, stupid, or otherwise negatively. Not that I watch much TV - but the only overtly Christian Character I can think of on a current TV show would be Sheldon's mother on Big Bang Theory - and she is portrayed as backwards, bigoted, and stupid.
    I've never watched that show. But "overtly Christian" sounds to me like something that is generally mocked even by garden variety Christians. I don't live in a world where normal socially acceptable people walk around being "overtly Christian" if that means talking like Aunt Esther and constantly speculating on God or Jesus' opinion, judgement, or punishment hangs in the balance of every action, especially the ones said person is currently in disagreement about.

Oh, Friday Night Lights has some guy who says "You need to get right with Jesus." doesn't it? I'm not sure, because I would rather draw on myself with a soldering iron than watch that show or Providence.

Let's face it, TV isn't really about real people. Real people are boring. Real people don't slam doors on each other, at least not in my family. Real people say "Goodbye" before hanging up the phone. Real people don't live in a TV show.