Thread: Critics Slam ABC Pilot 'Good Christian Bitches' for 'Inappropriate,' 'Damaging' Title

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    How about this one Nova: Name one show where the name of Jesus is mentioned as something other than a curse.
    What denomination do you identify with?

Fabulous Poster
    lots of OLD shows. You left out the show AMEN with Sherman Hemsley. Little house on the Prairie, and Highway to Heaven. How many of them are on the air currently? How many were on the air in the last 10 years?
    I didn't leave out any of those shows. Do you even read the post before responding? They are on the air in reruns, almost continuously , though Amen isn't often seen.

Fabulous Poster
    How about this one Nova: Name one show where the name of Jesus is mentioned as something other than a curse.
    What is an example of how you would expect to hear Jesus mentioned in the course of conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    What denomination do you identify with?
    what difference does that make?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I didn't leave out any of those shows. Do you even read the post before responding? They are on the air in reruns, almost continuously , though Amen isn't often seen.
    On the air where? None of them are on the air in my market.

What is an example of how you would expect to hear Jesus mentioned in the course of conversation?
    Let me point you to the show Touched By An Angel. How many times was the name of the Jesus mentioned in that show? Here's a show purportedly about Christianity and there is never a mention of Christ in the dialogue?

Some Christians are idiots and bigots. You can't support a claim that Christians are disproportionately portrayed as such. Are you complaining because there are idiots and bigots expressing themselves in a religious framework or excuse platform and that they are represented on TV?
    Have you sen the show True Blood? It's a surprisingly funny contrast by the gay producers. The Christians are portrayed as closed minded bigots unwilling to accept the poor, poor persecuted vampires into society not to mention wanting to wipe the vampires out. Funnily enough, the Christian's fears are quite founded but that doesn't stop the producers from portraying the Christians, more specifically, the Church of the Light, as idiots. But it doesn't stop there. In one episode, the main vampire protagonist kills another vampire protecting his human love interest. His punishment, he had to turn another human into a vampire. And do they go get some random person for Bill to turn? Nope, they grab a young teenage Christian girl to turn. Well, he turns her vampire and what happens? She's thrilled throwing off the bonds of Christianity and embracing her new found "freedom" by, of all things, swearing! Then, she decides to seek out her family so she can kill her, apparent, overbearing and abusive father. She is stopped but the damage is done. You'll never see gays or any other in the protected class get portrayed as such.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Ned Flanders is a truly good person, who struggles to be true to his faith. Sometimes he looks like a fool, but he never is mean or petty. Part of the reason Homer hates him is because Homer feels inadequate by comparison.

I doubt this show will do very well. ABC is struggling, and shows over the past decade or so that took a serious look at religion managed to offend people, I'm pretty sure a show with a title like this will do so even more thoroughly.

Fabulous Poster
    what difference does that make?
    Because different denominations express themselves differently and that would generate different expectations.

I went to Catholic school. The image of Jesus is everywhere, as is the image of Mary. But while Mary is spoken of frequently, Jesus is rarely mentioned by name in the course of a normal day outside of religion class. Even religion class only talks about Jesus when he's present in the portion of the Bible or Biblical account being taught.

My father's family were Methodists of the in town variety, and while they may have made a break from the Episcopalian church centuries before, there really wasn't a great deal of difference in delivery. My mom's family were Episcopalians. Neither of these denominations use the word "Jesus" a lot in normal conversation. Certainly not like one encounters with more evangelical sects who are raised to have a more familiar and conversational relationship with Jesus.

Episcopalians, Methodists, and Catholics usually refer to "God" and God's wishes/punishments/rewards while Baptists and nondenominationals tend to refer to "Jesus". You aren't likely to hear an Anglican say, 'You need to get right with Jesus." anymore than you are likely to hear a contemporary hymn at an Anglican or Catholic service.

By the same token, the sermons at Holy Communion oriented churches tend to be academic lectures on personal excellence, emotional health, or ethics explained through the application of scripture. Occasionally a social issue will make the grade, but you'll rarely if ever see the kind of social issue or political ranting that you do on any given broadcast of some of these megachurches.

So that's why I asked. If you belong to a denomination where someone would actually ask you to ask yourself 'What would Jesus do?" then your experience is probably different from most television writers and your expectations will be different.

Yes.
    Where? What show?
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.