Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Strawberry freezing advice wanted 
    The Plant City (Florida) strawberries are in season now and are both heavenly tasting and super cheap.

I got the idea of freezing them so we can enjoy them later. I don't want to freeze them with sugar, as I never sugar any fruits.

Is there some super secret to freezing them so they maintain the taste? Any help would be appreciated.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    The Plant City (Florida) strawberries are in season now and are both heavenly tasting and super cheap.

I got the idea of freezing them so we can enjoy them later. I don't want to freeze them with sugar, as I never sugar any fruits.

Is there some super secret to freezing them so they maintain the taste? Any help would be appreciated.
    Use Fruit Fresh on them and they will retain their color and flavor better and vacuum seal bags with the little hand held pump are a must, you can add a little apple juice with them when you freeze them too.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Use Fruit Fresh on them and they will retain their color and flavor better and vacuum seal bags with the little hand held pump are a must, you can add a little apple juice with them when you freeze them too.
    I don't have a hand held pump. Do you think if I try to squeeze the air out of a regular freezer bag it will work?

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"

I don't have a hand held pump. Do you think if I try to squeeze the air out of a regular freezer bag it will work?
    Regular bags don't last half as long in the freezer. You can buy the pump for ten bucks with three bags at walmart, the bags are thee dollars a dozen. both Zip-lock and Reynolds makes them and they are interchangeable with both brands systems.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Fabulous Poster

Don't re-invent the wheel. Frozen strawberries from the grocery store appear to me to be the ones which are already too ripe to ship fresh. They are cheap and sweet.

This year's Florida fresh crop is disappointing to me. The berries are huge, fibrous, and bland like California's Frankenstrawberries. They look fabulous dipped in a hard chocolate shell , but for just plain eating I like the ones in a bag from the grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Don't re-invent the wheel. Frozen strawberries from the grocery store appear to me to be the ones which are already too ripe to ship fresh. They are cheap and sweet.

This year's Florida fresh crop is disappointing to me. The berries are huge, fibrous, and bland like California's Frankenstrawberries. They look fabulous dipped in a hard chocolate shell , but for just plain eating I like the ones in a bag from the grocery store.
    It depends on the variety of strawberries, the bland ones you are referring too are likely cardinals.
    Last edited by Rockntractor; 03-05-2011 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post

This is my first year in Florida, so guess I don't have a good basis of comparison. The ones that I get at the Amish fruit and veggie places taste better than the ones from the grocery store.

Just got some more today from Detwiler's, a thriving Amish establishment a bit out of the heart of the Amish community. That place is always busy. The produce is fresher and about half the price of Publix.

Also went to Yoder's on Bahia Vista Street today. Now that area is really Amish. There were those 3 wheel bikes all around. I had to be really careful backing up, as there were swarms of folks out today.

It's a different world there. The women still wear dresses that look like something out of Little House on the Prairie, along with the caps or little lace scarves on the top of their heads. There's a RV park right across from Yoder's Restaurant, Fruit and Veggie Store, and now Deli. Today was the grand opening.

I can't imagine vacationing across the street from a restaurant and veggie stand, but the formerly empty lots (in the summer off season) are filled with vacationing Amish.

They're having a price war with an upstart little veggie place on the same side of the street as the RV area and Yoder's, which has been there for years.

"

Fabulous Poster
    This is my first year in Florida, so guess I don't have a good basis of comparison. The ones that I get at the Amish fruit and veggie places taste better than the ones from the grocery store.

Just got some more today from Detwiler's, a thriving Amish establishment a bit out of the heart of the Amish community. That place is always busy. The produce is fresher and about half the price of Publix.

Also went to Yoder's on Bahia Vista Street today. Now that area is really Amish. There were those 3 wheel bikes all around. I had to be really careful backing up, as there were swarms of folks out today.

It's a different world there. The women still wear dresses that look like something out of Little House on the Prairie, along with the caps or little lace scarves on the top of their heads. There's a RV park right across from Yoder's Restaurant, Fruit and Veggie Store, and now Deli. Today was the grand opening.

I can't imagine vacationing across the street from a restaurant and veggie stand, but the formerly empty lots (in the summer off season) are filled with vacationing Amish.

They're having a price war with an upstart little veggie place on the same side of the street as the RV area and Yoder's, which has been there for years.

The Amish/Mennonite trailerpark cracks me up.

Yeah, those are probably the good strawberries you are getting. I noticed last night that the ones at Spiro's (greek deli and produce) looked better than the grocery store. Their tomatoes are better than the grocery store too.

We used to raise them and sell them and it seemed that the larger varieties had less flavor. They were always left to ripen on the plant too.

I've frozen strawberries without using a vacuum seal. I've never really had a significant loss of taste but the texture changes, obviously. Depending on what you want to do with them later, you could do what we've done from time to time - puree them.

If you are going to use them in smoothies, fruit soups, baking, or things like that just puree them in recipe batches. You can also add whatever other fruits you want in puree-form if you want mixed flavors.

I've found the puree is fine for up to 4 or 5 months and the sliced sugar-pack (or plain) strawberries are fine for a couple of months. The vacuum seal would extend that, obviously.