Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I am unsure why it is taking so long for the Senate to become Republican. It should be a solidly Republican body considering the 2 per state issue and the number of reliably Republican states in the nation.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I am unsure why it is taking so long for the Senate to become Republican. It should be a solidly Republican body considering the 2 per state issue and the number of reliably Republican states in the nation.
    Have no fear, it will happen in 012 provided Obummer does not dig up those extra 7 states out of thin air. Chicago style politics I assume or just showing his stupidity or both.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 03-07-2011 at 11:51 AM.

BTW, John Ensign (R-Nevada) is reported to be retiring. The Link.

That brings the Republicans up to three, Ensign, Kay Bailey (R-Texas), and Kyl (R-Arizona).

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    it's a matter of money, when a Senator's election is and Incumbents have a much better chance of winning said elections.

BTW, John Ensign (R-Nevada) is reported to be retiring. The Link.

That brings the Republicans up to three, Ensign, Kay Bailey (R-Texas), and Kyl (R-Arizona).
    I expect one of the Republicans who primaried McCain this go 'round will end up in Kyl's seat. I don't see that seat going 'D' anytime in the future.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Repeal Amendment XVII. No more money problems for Senators.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    Repeal Amendment XVII. No more money problems for Senators.
    I don't see direct popular vote for Senators being that big of a problem, just the outside the state influences and money that are donated to them.

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    I expect one of the Republicans who primaried McCain this go 'round will end up in Kyl's seat. I don't see that seat going 'D' anytime in the future.
    You've got Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and now, Nevada senate seats up for grabs.

It might be a coincidence but the latest census numbers indicating a dramatic demographic shift in the American southwest may be in play. I would not assume the land of 1070 is an automatic Republican win at this point.

You've got Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and now, Nevada senate seats up for grabs.

It might be a coincidence but the latest census numbers indicating a dramatic demographic shift in the American southwest may be in play. I would not assume the land of 1070 is an automatic Republican win at this point.

OK, what reference am I missing here?
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post

OK, what reference am I missing here?
    It is a general reference to the anti-Hispanic feelings in Arizona. It refers specifically to SB 1070 but is meant as an metaphor to the hostility to Hispanics in that state. And before you start the whole "No! Just illegals!" charade, keep in mind there is a movement to deny Americans a birth certificate in that state because they were squeezed out of the wrong crotch.