1. #1 Majority Leader Says Redistricting Pledge Not Broken 
    Republicans in the State Senate are firing back after being criticized this week over what some say is a broken campaign promise. NY1's Bobby Cuza filed the following report.

Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos was a popular target this week, branded a deceiver by editorial writers, and singled out by former mayor Ed Koch for reneging on his promise to reform the stateís once-a-decade redistricting process.

"Iím very disappointed that heís withdrawn his commitment. Most people donít do that in politics," Koch told reporters Tuesday.

Last July, Skelos signed a pledge to support an independent, non-partisan redistricting commission. A bill submitted by Governor Andrew Cuomo would create just that, but Skelos now wonít support it.

He said this week he is still reviewing constitutional concerns with the bill.

At issue: Cuomo would appoint some members of a nominations committee that would select a pool of candidates for the commission. Constitutional law expert and former Cuomo advisor Jerry Goldfeder says he doesnít see a problem since the legislature still has final say over whatever plan the commission comes up with.

"The governorís involvement in the initial phases of this process doesnít infringe upon the ultimate legislative authority. Thatís what's called for in the constitution, and that continues to exist," Goldfeder said.

Skelos also says Cuomoís bill favors Democrats by a six-to-two margin.

CONTINUED
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Fabulous Poster
    I realize that I don't get it, if I did I'd be too busy counting my money to post on bulletin boards. But oddly, I don't understand why people accept that the districting process is corrupt. I realize that those who do get politics, don't see spoils as corrupt, they see it as some testosterone laced he who has the most toys wins kind of thing.

It doesn't come off as a game to me, I don't think it's fun or funny. I can accept the results of fair districting, even if it works against me. Fair is better than corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I realize that I don't get it, if I did I'd be too busy counting my money to post on bulletin boards. But oddly, I don't understand why people accept that the districting process is corrupt. I realize that those who do get politics, don't see spoils as corrupt, they see it as some testosterone laced he who has the most toys wins kind of thing.

It doesn't come off as a game to me, I don't think it's fun or funny. I can accept the results of fair districting, even if it works against me. Fair is better than corrupt.
    except distracting cannot ever be fair as long as we live under the voting rights act of 1965 that requires minority districts.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.