Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Elspeth, I agree but I am disturbed when people have children they can't afford, special needs or not.
    I have four living children and they are a blessing but I know the expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly with the choice to utilize birth control (although I have some problems with some of the birth control options, but in general, I'm not opposed to it).

I do not, however, agree that "less than perfect" children should be aborted.
    Thank you for that - my sister had a Down Syndrome baby, she died in 1999 at age 16. She was a wonderful gift to our entire family. We miss her dearly.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    As Linda noted, an excellent post. Unfortunately, as you probably already know, the extremes of both sides love government interference in people's lives. They simply disagree on the agenda for that interference.
    Exactly. I think I am really a libertarian at heart. (Gasp!):eek:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Exactly. I think I am really a libertarian at heart. (Gasp!):eek:
    Welcome to the club. There's a few of us here! :D

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    Elspeth, I agree but I am disturbed when people have children they can't afford, special needs or not.
    I have four living children and they are a blessing but I know the expense.
    I know what you mean, but I think some folks are willing to go to extraordinary lengths and I wouldn't stand in their way. I personally think people should plan their families--and many middle class women do. My sisters, for example, made money in their 20s so they had enough saved to have children. But sometimes, you just have to go with your gut, and if you're willing to put the work in, I respect that.

They just can't resist making ugly, vile statements about conservative women and Palin. They're very good with the stereotypes. Unfortunately (sp?) for them, but good for us.
    janet118 (228 posts) Fri Aug-29-08 10:57 AM
    Response to Reply #11
    112. Wow . . . McCain may be that stupid
    This pick (and the cable stations are saying it is Palin) is incredibly cynical and tone deaf in numerous ways. It is like women are just interchangeable parts - Sarah Palin = Hillary Clinton. She is an attractive woman who is much younger than McCain and because of his marital history, it just seems wrong. She has no experience - Governor of one of the nation's least populous states for only 1 and 1/2 years and mayor of a small town before that. Ready from Day One - Not!!!

What she does have is 5 children - one of whom is getting ready to deploy to Iraq and a newborn with Down Syndrome. She loves guns.

It looks like the votes he is going after are those of white, Christianoid women and the gun-toting men who are served by them. The joke's on him. He already had that voting bloc.

If he is going after disgruntled Hillary voters, he will have to concentrate on those who have defective bullsh*t detectors.
    JeanGrey (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-29-08 10:56 AM
    Response to Reply #1
    109. Whoo hoo?? Make no mistake. This is a VERY smart
    choice. She is well thought of and well liked. McCain is smarter than I thought. I told you he wouldn't take Romney!!
    smoogatz (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-29-08 12:02 PM
    Response to Reply #109
    197. Smart?
    His main line of attack on Obama is that he's "not ready." If McCain has a massive coronary, is Sarah Palin "ready"? No sentient Hillary voter's going to jump to anti-choice McCain just because the wingnut he's running with (also anti-choice, btw, and a creationist) has a vagina.
    wienerdoggie (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-29-08 09:47 AM
    Response to Original message
    4. Wow--stupid. It will look like Gramps and his hot young mistress--
    if they think women will suddenly flock to her, then they don't understand women at all.
    Janice325 (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-29-08 10:17 AM
    56. Is Cindy McCain still in Georgia??? (the country, not the state)
    If the Palin story should prove pan out, I wonder what Cindy thinks.
    Solly Mack (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-29-08 10:31 AM
    69. The beast picked a beauty queen he can bully.
    McCain has contempt for women....he would try and bully any running mate...but with a woman? He'll be even worse

He'll expect a "little lady" vice president and he'll demand that she behave and obey him

and ANY woman willing to play such a role? well, doesn't say much about her does it?
    Marie26 (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-29-08 11:15 AM
    Response to Reply #135
    153. Me too
    And here's the thing: We can't go after her for her lack of experience (first-term gov) because OUR candidate is in his first term in the Senate. Can't attack for being too young, cause she's only two years younger than Obama, who's actually running for the Presidency. Can't use the "fat cat" multimillionare angle, because she's not, unlike Mitt. (Oh, Romney, you came so close.) Can't use the GOP corruption & cronyism against her, cause she fought against that. And if Biden goes after her too much, it could alienate women voters. IMO this was a brilliant strategic pick by McCain. Obama played it safe w/Biden, but McCain did something risky & dangerous because he knows that's his only chance to win. It is a Hail Mary pass, but sometimes those work.
    LibDemAlways (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-29-08 11:52 AM
    Response to Reply #163
    188. I don't think so. The fundie base is not going to be
    happy with this choice. There are millions of reichwingers of both sexes who believe a married woman with young children ought to be home raising them and that men are the head of the household and should be the breadwinners.

If I were Obama/Biden I wouldn't miss an opportunity to remind voters she's a mother of five and that the youngest is an infant

Power CUer
    They are just ugly over there. And any opportunity to use the b--word or the c--word makes them very happy.

On what grounds does Solly Mack claim that McCain "has contempt for women?"
    LibDemAlways, what you propose would be a surefire way to help Obama/ Biden lose a LOT of popularity, and come across as a couple of petty, mudslinging jerks (It would suggest to MANY people that he feels a woman with an infant would be unqualified for office for that reason).
    Of course, there would also be plenty of Christian- bashing in that thread ("Fundies," "Christianoid")
    Oh, and in response to hamsterjill's question, yes, you ARE heartless!

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Welcome to the club. There's a few of us here! :D
    I'm finding out so much about myself here. Geez!

And here's another one:

propel (128 posts) t Fri Aug-29-08 01:39 PM
    Original message
    These Repukin' breeders

Not only do repukes give us the likes of GW Bush...but they feel the need to reproduce and have 5 friggin' kids to add to the repukin', idiotic voter base.

This woman is gonna get the Hillary Clinton voter like I'm gonna have sex with Victoria Secret super models.