Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 52
  1. #21  
    Senior Member Madisonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Peoples Democratic Socialist Republic of Michiganistanovia
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    :Dtotally different and you know it. And if you don't, that's too bad.
    Not really totally different, because it is still based on faith, as are all religious beliefs. While the 2 I mentioned may not have been the best examples, they were just the first ones that popped into my mind.
    Personally, I don't care what a person's beliefs are or are not, as long as those beliefs are not imposed on me or used as a basis to denigrate, alter or punish my beliefs.

    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    your own personal opinion, but they are recorded events in the Bible.
    Again, all religion is is one's own personal opinion and interpretation. Westboro Baptist uses the same Bible that other religions, denominations or religious subdivisions use, but that does not make that particular group Christian or even religious based on my interpretations of the same words.

    Even going as far as saying that certain events are recorded in the Bible, it could be argued as a chicken or the egg arguement. Did God cause a Great Flood, or was God used as an explanation for an unusual weather event?

    Is the Bible the word of God or an attribution of events to a deity because they could not otherwise be rationally explained at the time?

    I am not advancing one theory over the other, as it all comes down to one's faith and belief.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Madisonian View Post
    Not really totally different, because it is still based on faith, as are all religious beliefs. While the 2 I mentioned may not have been the best examples, they were just the first ones that popped into my mind.
    Personally, I don't care what a person's beliefs are or are not, as long as those beliefs are not imposed on me or used as a basis to denigrate, alter or punish my beliefs.



    Again, all religion is is one's own personal opinion and interpretation. Westboro Baptist uses the same Bible that other religions, denominations or religious subdivisions use, but that does not make that particular group Christian or even religious based on my interpretations of the same words.

    Even going as far as saying that certain events are recorded in the Bible, it could be argued as a chicken or the egg arguement. Did God cause a Great Flood, or was God used as an explanation for an unusual weather event?

    Is the Bible the word of God or an attribution of events to a deity because they could not otherwise be rationally explained at the time?

    I am not advancing one theory over the other, as it all comes down to one's faith and belief.
    I'll agree with you on the faith aspect. However thats not how you were making your argument. You said NO prophecy has EVER come true, however that is false, even if you take the Bible out of the equation there are any number of extra-biblical prophecy's that are non-Christian that have come true, and Christian prophets that have been right.

    What the Bible specifics is that for a person to be a TRUE prophet all of their predictions will come true as long as those being told follow God guidelines.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    And back to this May End Of It All date.

    I first started hearing about this maybe 3 years ago. I might have run across it on Godlike Productions or Fortean Times. I just checked and I'm seeing references from 2006 so it's been around a while.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    Posts
    1,165
    well. at some point in the future if he keeps it up, he'll be able to say he was right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Madisonian View Post
    Personally, I don't care what a person's beliefs are or are not, as long as those beliefs are not imposed on me or used as a basis to denigrate, alter or punish my beliefs.
    I think that is an EXCELLENT concept to live by.....but of course you mean that it applies to Christians saying anything that denigrates YOUR opinions. right. NOT that you should have to refrain from displaying hypocritical tendencies by doing EXACTLY that yourself, heh?

    Do i need to continue and explain that it was YOU that fired the first statement to denigrate Christian beliefs. Do I? You DO see that, don't you? Of course we all know that it is only Christians that are the intolerant, crude and rude ones, correct? So that means, since you as a....whatever....anything but Christian, and in the minority, then you are incapable of denigrating others' beliefs? hmmmm?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    Senior Member Madisonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Peoples Democratic Socialist Republic of Michiganistanovia
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I'll agree with you on the faith aspect. However thats not how you were making your argument.You said NO prophecy has EVER come true, however that is false, even if you take the Bible out of the equation there are any number of extra-biblical prophecy's that are non-Christian that have come true, and Christian prophets that have been right.

    What the Bible specifics is that for a person to be a TRUE prophet all of their predictions will come true as long as those being told follow God guidelines.
    Quoting you, quoting me...

    Umm... not sure what all this is about, but its not about anything I posted.
    I said nothing about prophets or prophecies, true or ortherwise.

    I made a first comment about people "buying into" something as in some people buy into Moses parting the Red Sea or Noah and the Ark or the world will end on a specific day. Some people don't.

    I don't mind a disagreement of what I did say, but I don't like being preached to about things I clearly did not say nor even made a reference towards.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    Senior Member Madisonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Peoples Democratic Socialist Republic of Michiganistanovia
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    I think that is an EXCELLENT concept to live by.....but of course you mean that it applies to Christians saying anything that denigrates YOUR opinions. right. NOT that you should have to refrain from displaying hypocritical tendencies by doing EXACTLY that yourself, heh?

    Do i need to continue and explain that it was YOU that fired the first statement to denigrate Christian beliefs. Do I? You DO see that, don't you? Of course we all know that it is only Christians that are the intolerant, crude and rude ones, correct? So that means, since you as a....whatever....anything but Christian, and in the minority, then you are incapable of denigrating others' beliefs? hmmmm?
    I, and obviously you, have no clue what you are talking about.
    I did not say anything to denigrate Christians or anyone else, unless you are a member of Westboro Baptist and believe in Fred Phelps interpretation of the Bible and that soldiers deserve to die and the other claptrap they expouse. If that is the case, then you have no basis to question anyone about Christianity.

    You have no idea what my beliefs are or whether I believe that Moses parted the Red Sea, that the Great Flood happened, the age of the Earth based on Biblical projections or anything else related to religion.

    I buy into (or have faith, the terms are interchangeable as I used them) in a great number of things that you may or may not agree with. While I don't always submit it for a peer review to avoid offending or ruffling the feathers of other posters, I certainly don't see where my first post, a response to Poli, was a denigration of Christian beliefs unless you consider it that since I equated "prophecies" made by a still living person that may or may not come true with events recorded in the Bible which may or may not have happened as written.

    And I would never say that it is only Christians that are rude, crude and intolerant. Every religion has enough members with those qualifications.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Madisonian View Post
    Quoting you, quoting me...

    Umm... not sure what all this is about, but its not about anything I posted.
    I said nothing about prophets or prophecies, true or ortherwise.

    I made a first comment about people "buying into" something as in some people buy into Moses parting the Red Sea or Noah and the Ark or the world will end on a specific day. Some people don't.

    I don't mind a disagreement of what I did say, but I don't like being preached to about things I clearly did not say nor even made a reference towards.
    I'm sorry, I got you and Ape confused. my apologizes good sir :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #29  
    Senior Member Madisonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Peoples Democratic Socialist Republic of Michiganistanovia
    Posts
    2,417
    I am the one with less body hair.:D

    ETA: I also photograph (and look) better as any comparison of our avatars can tell.:p
    Last edited by Madisonian; 03-08-2011 at 03:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #30  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    Posts
    1,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Madisonian View Post
    I, and obviously you, have no clue what you are talking about.
    I did not say anything to denigrate Christians or anyone else, unless you are a member of Westboro Baptist and believe in Fred Phelps interpretation of the Bible and that soldiers deserve to die and the other claptrap they expouse. If that is the case, then you have no basis to question anyone about Christianity.

    You have no idea what my beliefs are or whether I believe that Moses parted the Red Sea, that the Great Flood happened, the age of the Earth based on Biblical projections or anything else related to religion.

    I buy into (or have faith, the terms are interchangeable as I used them) in a great number of things that you may or may not agree with. While I don't always submit it for a peer review to avoid offending or ruffling the feathers of other posters, I certainly don't see where my first post, a response to Poli, was a denigration of Christian beliefs unless you consider it that since I equated "prophecies" made by a still living person that may or may not come true with events recorded in the Bible which may or may not have happened as written.

    And I would never say that it is only Christians that are rude, crude and intolerant. Every religion has enough members with those qualifications.
    yes. I think i do know what your beliefs are about the Red Sea and the Great Flood. And the fact that you mentioned earth age just cemented it. Come on. buck up.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •