Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 OK, I've defended this war enough. F*ck the Iraqis. 
    BEIJING (AFP) ó China hailed Thursday a three-billion-dollar oil agreement with Iraq as a win for both nations, as it sought to reassure the rest of the world that it should not be concerned by the deal.

Becoming the first foreign firm to enter such an agreement since the end of Saddam Hussein's regime, state-owned China National Petroleum Corp. (CNPC) this week won the right to develop the Al-Ahdab oil field south of Baghdad.

"The cooperation between the relevant oil companies from China and Iraq is mutually beneficial," foreign ministry spokesman Qin Gang told reporters after the Iraqi embassy in Beijing said the deal had been reached.

"It will be conducive to the economic development of Iraq, and will meet China's demands in the oil field as well, and is also conducted according to market rules and will not harm any interests of any third parties."

The agreement, reached during a visit to China by Iraqi Oil Minister Hussain al-Shahristani, revives a 1997 contract that granted China exploration rights to the Al-Ahdab oil field in the province of Wassit.

After China won the rights to the al-Ahdab field in a deal then valued at 700 million dollars over 23 years, activities were suspended due to UN sanctions and security issues following the US-led war in 2003 that toppled Saddam.

Planned oil production was then 90,000 barrels per day (bpd), and CNPC had been expected to win the new exploration rights.http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...bAMKfdfXJkmqZQ

Fuck the Iraqis!!!!! I don't give a shit if we pull out today. Honestly, if this is the thanks we get then they can defend themselves. I don't recall seeing a number on how many Chinese soldiers died to free their sorry asses. Do you? We've won, now pull out and let the bastards fend for themselves.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

$79,000,000,000.00 surplus and we're still spending $1,984.13 per second in Iraq for..........help me out here, guys.
    Last edited by LogansPapa; 08-29-2008 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

I'm not sure what to make of this. As a ruthless capitalist, I have to grudgingly recognize that other nations will happily do what the US isn't doing while we're scratching our collective rear.

On the other hand, if I were an Iraqi politician, I'd be falling over myself to keep the US's oil vats full - what exactly is/was China's role in liberating Iraq? There is such a thing as a 'moral obligation'.

This of course opens the discussion to whether or not we agree with the occupation of Iraq, but I won't go down that road now. :D
    Last edited by Troll; 08-29-2008 at 01:47 PM.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

Now we're defending China's oil. The least Iraq could do is sell us oil at 75% of market value. They get the 755 and the additional 25% could go against theri debt to us. Fuck em, they can rot in hell.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Banned
    Lets invade Iraq!!! Oh.... wait...

Sorry couldn't resist ;)

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Lets invade Iraq!!! Oh.... wait...

Sorry couldn't resist ;)
    I still believe we did the right thing in going. I just don't appreciate the slap in the face this is.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    I still believe we did the right thing in going. I just don't appreciate the slap in the face this is.
    Its kind of ballsy on the iraqi's part, damn. But I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Its kind of ballsy on the iraqi's part, damn. But I agree.
    It's shit like this that makes me understand why I shouldn't be in charge of this kind of shit.

Well guys, we didn't go in for Oil, like everyone accused us of.

I don't view this as that bad of a thing. Help me out if my facts are skewed. But doesn't this mean that Iraq will start producing more oil now? Who cares if it's China or the US. Capitalism in action, if China is getting all thier oil from Iraq, that gives us other places to buy from. Supply and demand, right now demand is HIGH, more supply is Good!

Of course we have to acknowledge China growing needs for oil. They have a right to buy oil the same as we do.

______
    Patrick
    4jacks
    4jacks@gmail.com

This is the same argument that some (including myself) have used about our own off-shore drilling expansion: What will make private corporations sell it to the United States and not the highest bidder, like China?
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)