Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Years ago, John Stossel was praising Hong Kong's system. It's a 15% flat tax , can't recall if it's an income or sales tax, and everyone has health care, though I can't recall if it's NHS or Single Payer.
    It's the same thing, I think. You manage your own situation and health care providers compete for your money. If you run out, you get the minimalist government health care.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Years ago, John Stossel was praising Hong Kong's system. It's a 15% flat tax , can't recall if it's an income or sales tax, and everyone has health care, though I can't recall if it's NHS or Single Payer.
    Got news for you. A 14% flat income tax will not work because we do not have enough people working. Too many people are riding in the wagon. That is the problem with SS and Medicare also. A sales tax might work but it has too many legislative and legal hurdles to jump over before it ever makes into law.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Got news for you. A 14% flat income tax will not work because we do not have enough people working. Too many people are riding in the wagon. That is the problem with SS and Medicare also. A sales tax might work but it has too many legislative and legal hurdles to jump over before it ever makes into law.
    You may be right. We may not have enough net taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    You are correct. FSA accounts are use-it-or-lose-it and near the end of the year, buying over the counter drugs was a way to use-it for me. Also, people get accustomed to a benefit and it is difficult to take it away.

For my part, I just pay for my Tylenol. It's not that big of a deal.
    The FDA makes Rx drugs OTC to increase availabity and to save poor people from paying cash to see the doctor.

Some of these OTC therapies are not inexpensive. Prilosic, Zyrtec, Allegra, etc....if you take more then one, you can easily spend $400 a year for something you need for quality of life & health...

You do know that MEDICAID pays for Tylenol don't you? Flintstone chewables are on that list also...so are many over the counter drugs like ear wax removal drops and creams for diaper rash.

Pharmacies have generic zyrtec, allegra, etc on hand so those in the industry can help others get that tax benefit of HSAs and of course fill scripts for Medicaid patients for zero co-payment.

I would like to add that in many cases doctors write an Rx for something that is over the counter, just to make sure the patient gets the medication. Folic acid, B-12, Vit D, Mag-Ox, and even low dose aspirin. You see this most often with children & older patients. Often the 30 day supply is lower then their normal co-payment so it works out well.

Don't ask me how I know this, it's top secret. :)
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 03-11-2011 at 06:51 AM.