1. #1 Idaho Votes to Phase Out Teacher Tenure, Restrict Collective Bargaining 
    Idaho Votes to Phase Out Teacher Tenure, Restrict Collective Bargaining

Published March 09, 2011

| FoxNews.com

The Idaho Legislature has approved a bill that would phase out tenure for new teachers and limit their collective-bargaining rights, marking a victory for lawmakers seeking union reforms in state capitals across the country.

The bill went to Gov. Butch Otter's desk after it was approved by the House on a 48-22 vote, with nine Republicans joining Democrats in opposition to the GOP-backed measure after hours of debate.

The measure is part of Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Luna's plan to reform the K-12 education system in Idaho. It would restrict collective bargaining agreements to salaries and benefits while also phasing out "tenure" for new educators and current teachers who have yet to attain it. New educators would instead be offered one- to two-year contracts following a three-year probationary period.

"Through this plan, we are going to attract and retain more quality teachers in Idaho by offering a two-year contract, increased pay and the opportunity to earn bonuses," said Republican state Rep. Bob Nonini, according to Fox 12 in Idaho.

Supporters of the legislation contend the plan will hand over more power to Idaho's locally elected school boards when it comes to labor relations.

But the Idaho Education Association bemoaned passage of the legislation to limit the union, saying it will gut teacher rights. The group planned protest rallies across the state on Wednesday, when the House is expected to take up another piece of Luna's reform plan and vote on a bill that would introduce merit pay.

"One person's medicine is another person's Kool-Aid and I refuse to drink it," Democratic state Rep. Brian Cronin said, according to Fox 12.

Teacher tenure is a longstanding benefit for public school teachers and college professors dating back to the beginning of the 20th century. The campaign for tenure sprung out of other workers' rights movements and was tied to the push for broader women's rights -- it was meant to keep experienced teachers safe from the whims of administrators and cultivate talented instructors.

But over the years, teachers' unions have pressed for expanded rights, and critics of tenure -- which in some cases can be earned in just two years -- say it's morphed into a tool to keep bad teachers from being fired.
    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...#ixzz1GD3znmeN

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Yea heard this on the news. They are falling like dominoes right now. The left (And DU) must be in meltdown right now trying to figure out what all happened and why they are losing every where right now.

(Rove must be behind all this!)
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    sweet....the states are doing what people want them too, finally

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Yea heard this on the news. They are falling like dominoes right now. The left (And DU) must be in meltdown right now trying to figure out what all happened and why they are losing every where right now.

(Rove must be behind all this!)
    It the Koch brothers. Don't you know that? :p
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Banned
    Tenure and sabbatical leave is a perk no other industry has that I am aware of. If teachers and union thugs want this crap, they can move to France. Teachers that take off a year to go back to school or just to sit their ass at home receiving the majority of their pay is something that the taxpayers can no longer afford. Let them go to night school like I did. Plus, they can go to summer school.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Tenure and sabbatical leave is a perk no other industry has that I am aware of. If teachers and union thugs want this crap, they can move to France. Teachers that take off a year to go back to school or just to sit their ass at home receiving the majority of their pay is something that the taxpayers can no longer afford. Let them go to night school like I did. Plus, they can go to summer school.
    I agree.

I know many teachers that went to night school or took online classes to get a masters. Some universities have weekend programs as well.