Thread: Uh-oh. Greenland and Antarctica melting faster than expected

1. #1 Uh-oh. Greenland and Antarctica melting faster than expected 
    Uh-oh. Greenland and Antarctica melting faster than expected

By Tim De Chant | Last updated about 5 hours ago

The rate of melting by the ice sheets covering Greenland and Antarctica may throw existing projections for sea level rise out the window. Unfortunately for Maldivians and other idyllic, but altitude-challenged islands, the ice sheets are melting faster than anyone expected.

Sea levels have been rising nearly unabated since the late 19th century, but rates have been increasing in recent years. The bulk of the change has been attributed to water expanding due to rising ocean temperatures, while melting ice in Greenland and Antarctica was considered to contribute a relatively small amount. But a new study published in Geophysical Research Letters reports the ice sheets may be contributing to sea level rise at a rate three times that which was previously suspected. The result? Sea levels could reach predicted heights 50 years earlier than experts thought, and total sea level rise may exceed previous estimates.

Ice is primarily lost from the Greenland and Antarctic sheets when it calves into the ocean. When ice sheets move faster toward the ocean, they shuck more ice into the water. And if snowfall over the ice sheets fails to replenish the amount lost, the sheet shrinks in size over time, transferring the water it once held into the ocean.

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/...n-expected.ars
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Fabulous Poster
    Despite popular opinion and calls to action, the Maldives are not being overrun by sea level rise

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/03/1...ea-level-rise/

Dr. Don Easterbrook responded today to Andy Revkin with this email, cc:d to me

Andy,
    I just read your article on sea level alarm in the Maldives. You may not be aware of a study there by Nils-Axel Morner, a Swedish sea level expert (former president of the INQUA Commission of Sea Level Changes and Coastal Evolution). Attached is photographic evidence by Morner that sea level in the Maldives is not rising relative to the coasts but has indeed fallen! Global sea level has been rising at a rate of about a foot per century but the Maldives are either rising or subject to a local sea level anomaly related to ocean currents and evaporation rates. Thus, the ‘poster child’ of Gore’s sea level alarm is invalid.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Ummmm....

BULLSHIT!

Thatisall
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Despite popular opinion and calls to action, the Maldives are not being overrun by sea level rise

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/03/1...ea-level-rise/
    My article is fresher than yours and Anthony Watts is a world class crackpot.
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 03-10-2011 at 01:20 PM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Where as you are only an internet crackpot.

Dude, do you realize just how gay that sounds? I'm kind of expecting the cast of 'Glee' to start posting in this thread any minute. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Dude, do you realize just how gay that sounds? I'm kind of expecting the cast of 'Glee' to start posting in this thread any minute. :p
    LOL! Not that kind of freshness.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Woowwwwwwww! You got 'fresher' BULLSHIT
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.