Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Soda Bottle Light Tubes 

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Poking holes in a perfectly good roof instinctively sounds like a bad idea to me ?

Leaks would be an issue and this wouldn't work where it freezes but it's still an idea with potential.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Leaks would be an issue and this wouldn't work where it freezes but it's still an idea with potential.
    Potential major roof repair.However I would consider it for my chicken coop...By the By why not just use a plexiglass roof dome ?They cost a lot more but they look better and last longer plus if properly installed they don't leak .If you used those in your home your neighbors would be out with petitions to drum you out of the neighborhood !

In poorer countries that will take off like a rocket....

I can't believe no one thought of this sooner...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Potential major roof repair.However I would consider it for my chicken coop...By the By why not just use a plexiglass roof dome ?They cost a lot more but they look better and last longer plus if properly installed they don't leak .If you used those in your home your neighbors would be out with petitions to drum you out of the neighborhood !
    A little market refining tweaks and those things would FLY off the shelves...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

I have skylights and I do love them but these soda bottle light tubes have some advantages. They are free, for one thing. They protrude into the space and the water magnifies the light, for another. You're right - they will degrade over time but there's always another empty soda bottle laying around somewhere.

I think this is very clever.

What did he screw onto the top?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    What did he screw onto the top?
    A film canister to protect the cap from sunlight. I assume you could use duct tape or something since film canisters are kind of Dodo-like in many parts of the world.

Poking holes in a perfectly good roof instinctively sounds like a bad idea to me ?
    VERY cool. :) Impractical in my neck of the woods - but cool none the less.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.