Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Preemie birth preventive spikes from $10 to $1,500 
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Preemie birth preventive spikes from $10 to $1,500

AP Medical Writer Mike Stobbe – Mar 10 2011
    ATLANTA –

A drug for high-risk pregnant women has cost about $10 to $20 per injection. Next week, the price shoots up to $1,500 a dose, meaning the total cost during a pregnancy could be as much as $30,000.

But recently, KV Pharmaceutical of suburban St.Louis won government approval to exclusively sell the drug, known as Makena (Mah-KEE’-Nah).

“That’s a huge increase for something that can’t be costing them that much to make. For crying out loud, this is about making money,” said Dr. Roger Snow, deputy medical director for Massachusetts’ Medicaid program.

“I’ve never seen anything as outrageous as this,” said Dr. Arnold Cohen, an obstetrician at Albert Einstein Medical Center in Philadelphia.

Doctors say the price hike may deter low-income women from getting the drug, leading to more premature births. And it will certainly be a huge financial burden for health insurance companies and government programs that have been paying for it.

The cost of care for a preemie is estimated at $51,000 in the first year alone.

Aetna will continue to pay for the drug, Armstrong said, but it will be an expensive pill to swallow. Aetna currently covers it for about 1,000 women a year, so the new federal endorsement is likely to cost an estimated $30 million more annually.

Ther-Rx and its parent company became involved about three years ago and acquired rights to the drug from a Massachusetts company named Hologic Inc., said Divis, who is also Ther-Rx’s president.

… That designation ensures Ther-Rx will be the sole source of the drug for seven years.

Some doctors said they were happy getting the cheaper version from compounding pharmacies, and Aetna’s Armstrong said she was unaware of any quality concerns.

Not that they have a choice: Last month, KV sent cease-and-desist letters to compounding pharmacies, …

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110310/...VtaWViaXJ0aA--

Obamacare working as intended....:mad:
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    wow...I feel for them. My oldest daughter was a preemie, fortunately for us she didn't have any problems, but she was in the hospital for 10 days after she was born and she needed special formula for the first year and was on a heart monitor for her first 6 months.

Fabulous Poster
    I don't see this lasting very long given that it would seem to be a strike at the heart of poor and/or black* reproduction.

But it really does bring home the point that many critical drugs are paid for by the American taxpayer and then essentially given to private pharmaceutical firms to "develop".

* Why Are African-American Women Twice As Likely to Have a Premature Baby?
    March of Dimes Says Research is the Answer

NEW YORK CITY, OCT. 22, 2004 – No one knows why African-American women go into labor three or more weeks early, more often than babies of any other race or ethnicity, according to the March of Dimes.

"This is not only a socio-economic problem; a woman can do everything right and still have a premature child,'' said Dr. Diane Ashton, associate medical director, March of Dimes. "We need to find out why this happens and what we can do to ensure that African-American babies are carried full-term and born healthy.

http://www.marchofdimes.com/aboutus/10651_13893.asp

Nova, the Feds are enforcing this, and the agreement is 7 years they are the only provider of this drug, and as such, they can charge what every the hell they feel like and there is no one else to compete with them on it.

Say thank-you Obama for this.
    Rest In Peace America

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Nova, the Feds are enforcing this, and the agreement is 7 years they are the only provider of this drug, and as such, they can charge what every the hell they feel like and there is no one else to compete with them on it.

Say thank-you Obama for this.
    This would appear to actually be in the works before Obama.

http://www.drugs.com/history/makena.html

Why would you say something like that without checking first?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    This would appear to actually be in the works before Obama.

http://www.drugs.com/history/makena.html

Why would you say something like that without checking first?
    No one is talking about the approval of the Drug, its limiting it to only one manufacturer because of "quality concerns" regarding generics.
    Rest In Peace America

I'm not 100% on this, but I doubt the Obama administration is the first one to give exclusive rights to a drug company, with a result such as this.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    No one is talking about the approval of the Drug, its limiting it to only one manufacturer because of "quality concerns" regarding generics.

This is a 50 year old generic drug that the previous company, and now KV have been in the process of getting exclusive rights to under the "orphan drug act". The Orphan Drug Act was signed into law by Ronald Reagan.

The "in the works" I was referring to was not formula approval but application for exclusive manufacturing under Orphan Drug Act.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I don't see this lasting very long given that it would seem to be a strike at the heart of poor and/or black* reproduction.

But it really does bring home the point that many critical drugs are paid for by the American taxpayer and then essentially given to private pharmaceutical firms to "develop".

* Why Are African-American Women Twice As Likely to Have a Premature Baby?
    March of Dimes Says Research is the Answer

NEW YORK CITY, OCT. 22, 2004 – No one knows why African-American women go into labor three or more weeks early, more often than babies of any other race or ethnicity, according to the March of Dimes.

"This is not only a socio-economic problem; a woman can do everything right and still have a premature child,'' said Dr. Diane Ashton, associate medical director, March of Dimes. "We need to find out why this happens and what we can do to ensure that African-American babies are carried full-term and born healthy.

http://www.marchofdimes.com/aboutus/10651_13893.asp
    I know a lot of public health nurses. One problem is that blacks women without college degrees are more likely to avoid prenatal care until the end of pregnancy. It's a cultural idea among some of these women that there's no need for prenatal care.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I'm not 100% on this, but I doubt the Obama administration is the first one to give exclusive rights to a drug company, with a result such as this.
    I can't recall another case of something so cheap becoming so outrageously expensive. I'm guessing that mules are being loaded in Mexico and Thailand as we speak.