Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Muslim Rep. Keith Ellison breaks down in Muslim radicalization hearings 
    link

sabra Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-10-11 11:32 AM
    Original message
    Muslim Rep. Keith Ellison breaks down in Muslim radicalization hearings Updated at 11:32 AM

Source: CBS News

In testimony before the Homeland Security Committee's hearing on radicalization in the Muslim community Thursday, Minnesota Democratic Rep. Keith Ellison, Congress's first elected Muslim member, broke down in tears while delivering an emotional tribute to a young Muslim-American who lost his life in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks - and whose reputation was later maligned due to his faith.

Ellison, who argues that the hearings unjustly target the Muslim American community for the acts of a few Islamic terrorists, closed his remarks with the story of 23-year-old Mohammed Salman Hamdani, a paramedic who died trying to save lives in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

"Mr. Hamdani bravely sacrificed his life to try and help others on 9/11. After the tragedy some people tried to smear his character solely because of his Islamic faith," Ellison said, his voice breaking. "Some people spread false rumors and speculated that he was in league with the attackers only because he was Muslim. It was only when his remains were identified that these lies were fully exposed."

"His life should not be defined as a member of an ethnic group or a member of a religion, but as an American who gave everything for his fellow citizens," he continued.

Ellison also contended that the hearings, led by Rep. Steve King (R-NY), were essentially targeting Muslim-Americans and would likely put U.S. national security at risk.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20041613-503544.... ;cbsCarousel

+201 Recommendations
    As usual they take what is said about a group of extremist Muslims and try to claim that King and conservatives and those concerned about Muslim extremists are saying it about ALL MUSLIMS.

They deny that Muslim terrorism exists.
    glinda Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-10-11 11:44 AM
    Response to Original message
    6. I believe that these hearings are an attempt to get rid of Ellison in part.

They are political beyond belief and should be stopped immediately.
    Scottybeamer70 Donating Member (201 posts) Thu Mar-10-11 11:58 AM
    8. WOW........

this country has truly lost its way. Too bad we can't lock up
    idiots...........King would be first in line. What a truly
    disgusting person he is. I guess we haven't made it to the
    21st century after all.
    alp227 (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-10-11 05:06 PM
    Response to Reply #12
    64. Seriously. +1. Privlileged rich tobacco-check-collecting Boehner vs.

Ellison, a member of a religious minority continuously bullied by the conservafascists.
    SkyDaddy7 Donating Member (1000+ posts) list Thu Mar-10-11 01:13 PM
    24. The group we should be holding hearings on is...

ALL WHITE CHRISTIANS! This group is the group that has committed almost all the "HOME GROWN" terrorist attacks in America! They have assassinated doctors & nurses...Bombed buildings, clinics & vehicles & they have been know to plant bombs to where people gather. NOTHING IS BEING DONE ABOUT THIS ONGOING THREAT!!
    JDPriestly Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-10-11 02:11 PM
    35. Rep. King may be trying to incite a terrorist attack on the US during Obama's administration.

If anything happens, we will know who to blame. How awful!
    JDPriestly Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-10-11 05:44 PM
    Response to Reply #63
    67. Because King is trying to humiliate innocent Muslims in the US, Muslims

who are good citizens.

He is accusing people of being unpatriotic just because they are Muslim.

His conduct could be used by fanatics somewhere in another country to stir up people against the US and persuade them to do terrorist acts.

How do American Christians, especially fundamentalists, feel when Christian missionaries or other Christians living overseas -- say the Coptic Christians in Egypt -- are persecuted or accused of being dangerous to others in the countries in which they live?

You and I would not be moved to commit terrorist acts, but fanatics could be so moved.

King is just irresponsible. If he really has information about Muslim terrorists in the US, he should notify the FBI. He should not call people before Congress just because they are Muslims.
    yellowwood (445 posts) Thu Mar-10-11 02:54 PM
    51. What Religion is Peter King?

Let's investigate his religion to see if any of them are or ever have been radical.

I remember coming out of Confession when I was a little girl and some little boy outside the church said, "You're a Cathollic, and Catholics asre bad people!."

I was so shocked! That somebody could say something like that to me because of my religion.

These hearings are disgraceful.

And, yes, these hearings are meant to discriminate.
    think (48 posts) Thu Mar-10-11 03:24 PM
    54. The Radicalization of Republicans needs to be investigated!

It has been brought to my attention that there are radical elements with in the Republican party that are instigating violence and speaking ill words about the president of the United States. These un American republicans need to be exposed and brought to justice.

I realize there are good Republicans out there but they have not done enough to condemn the radical actions of it's members. Ever since 911 this group has actively pursued un American activities including subverting the constitution, corporate fraud, treason, and in general lying cheating and stealing the American dream.

Now I know some Republicans and they are generally a decent bunch but if you get them out on a golf course things begin to change. Now Republicans want to put golf courses in state parks in Florida! The audacity of it all. Spending public funds to create a Republican terror bunker in the middle of our state parks!

Now it appears these radicalized Republicans want to establish Old Testament Law in America and ignore the new testimony of Christ! True Christians know that Jesus's words are the new testament but these snakes want to ignore the words of Christ and impose their false religion on the people of America!

There are reports they are taking up arms and threatening to over throw the American government! Let's face it we need a national discussion concerning the radicalization of Republicans as we have overlooked this growing problem for far too long!

****Please Note The Heavy Sarcasm that is meant for Peter "I'm a proud supporter of IRA terrorism" King's wing nut followers and not the ordinary every day run of the mill like the gal next door just like your neighbor fun loving all American republicans.......
    Sometimes I think that DU has been invaded by extremist Muslims who's sole purpose is to make comments like these. And then I remember that leftists have traditionally been on the side of those who want to undermine the US and who have declared war on the US. Just another case of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". For people who claim to see nuances and be more intellegent than others they only see in black and white. All Muslims-good; All Christians-bad, liberals-good; consevatives-bad; democracy-bad; dictators-good (as long as it's 'one of their' dictators).

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    I think it about all muslims. I've seen no evidence to dissuade me. The only trustworthy muslim is the one that has converted to Christianity.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    I think it about all muslims. I've seen no evidence to dissuade me. The only trustworthy muslim is the one that has converted to Christianity.
    Don't be too sure even after a conversion and I agree with you .It's in the beast interests of the Muslim lobby to vilify King and his committee to create a smoke screen .A basic tenant of Militant Islams to Disemble and conceal .
    All Muslims are suspect by their very religious tenets.They refuse to assimilate into Western Society instead work to change it to their religious model.
    All available evidence from European countries shows the discords and even murder these critters are capable of .
    Last edited by megimoo; 03-11-2011 at 07:45 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Don't be too sure even after a conversion and I agree with you .It's in the beast interests of the Muslim lobby to vilify King and his committee to create a smoke screen .A basic tenant of Militant Islams to Disemble and conceal .
    All Muslims are suspect by their very religious tenets.They refuse to assimilate into Western Society instead work to change it to their religious model.
    All available evidence from European countries shows the discords and even murder these critters are capable of .

1) They're not "critters", they're people like you and I.
    2) Try having Muslim friends or neighbors. They're not bad people and all the ones I've met love our way of life. Some of them dress differently in Middle Eastern garb, but others dress just like you or I would. I know quite a few Muslim women who wear no head covering; a few Muslim men who wear not even a day's worth of facial hair. And all of the ones I've met think terrorism is evil.

Are these not the same people who thought it was funny when Boehner cried?

Quote Originally Posted by obx View Post
    Are these not the same people who thought it was funny when Boehner cried?

You mean it's not funny when Boehner cries?

Yet it's perfectly okay to call average American citizens a potential threat to the government. Check the MIAC report as well as other reports put out by homeland security where:

Returning military veterans (Don't believe me? Go look it up)
    Conservatives
    Libertarians
    Gunowners
    Property Rights activists
    People with a "Get US out of the UN" sticker on their car
    People with Ron Paul, Bob Barr, Chuck Baldwin stickers on their car
    People who want to shut down the federal reserve
    People who own gold and silver

Are ALL considered to be possible threats to the government... Terrorists.

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    and none of the above have ever strapped on an explody vest and killed people. The ones that do appear to be a protected species. And the average everyday muslim in America never says a word of condemnation.

Don't give me this stuff, 'if you had muslim friends'. You don't have muslim friends. You don't know how these people believe and given the right circumstances how you'd be dealt with. Don't be fools happily marching off to your own beheading.
    Last edited by Calypso Jones; 03-11-2011 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    1) They're not "critters", they're people like you and I.
    2) Try having Muslim friends or neighbors. They're not bad people and all the ones I've met love our way of life. Some of them dress differently in Middle Eastern garb, but others dress just like you or I would. I know quite a few Muslim women who wear no head covering; a few Muslim men who wear not even a day's worth of facial hair. And all of the ones I've met think terrorism is evil.
    Is this the same people who have a tenet in their religion that says its ok to lie to the non believers? That its ok to act like the infidel to gain their trust? ask your buddies if the believe such things.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Is this the same people who have a tenet in their religion that says its ok to lie to the non believers? That its ok to act like the infidel to gain their trust? ask your buddies if the believe such things.
    I've known a great many of these people most of my life, for one.
    Secondly, just because they're a Muslim doesn't mean they're a terrorist or terrorist sympathizer.
    They're my friends and will remain my friends. I'm not going to stop being friends with people or avoid people just because of their religion.

I also wouldn't support them being killed just because they are Muslim, which I suspect some here would indeed support.