Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    In the grand tradition of the founding fathers - I'm gonna avoid excessive taxes at every chance.
    Yea. The Brits rid us of the damn French and when the bill came due, we blanche.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post

Pay the fuck up and stop leeching off the rest of us.
    You are calling the Illinois Governor the "fuck up"?
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    You are calling the Illinois Governor the "fuck up"?
    Possibly. Why not?

Possibly. Why not?
    Works for me.:D
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Yea. The Brits rid us of the damn French and when the bill came due, we blanche.
    Need I remind you that defense of it's colonies was one of the duties of the mother country - nor that we had no problem paying back the money? The problem was excessive taxation and taxation without representation.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Need I remind you that defense of it's colonies was one of the duties of the mother country - nor that we had no problem paying back the money? The problem was excessive taxation and taxation without representation.
    I was being glib.

Aside from the wear and tear on infrastructure (roads, runways, etc.), how does online buying impact local communities?

If it was possible for me to find what I wanted locally, I'd buy it. Local businesses have to cater to the majority consumer and I'm not in that category aside from food, hardware, discount miscellany, and animal feed and services.

There isn't going to be a local business that caters to my taste in Gothic fiction, raw silk fabric, handspun yarns, exotic Hostas, and loose tea. And there never was. Americans have been ordering from catalogs for well over 100 years. We've never been able to get all our consumer needs met locally. The only difference is that now city people are using the type of methods country people have relied on for decades.

And suddenly, it's an issue.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Aside from the wear and tear on infrastructure (roads, runways, etc.), how does online buying impact local communities?

If it was possible for me to find what I wanted locally, I'd buy it. Local businesses have to cater to the majority consumer and I'm not in that category aside from food, hardware, discount miscellany, and animal feed and services.

There isn't going to be a local business that caters to my taste in Gothic fiction, raw silk fabric, handspun yarns, exotic Hostas, and loose tea. And there never was. Americans have been ordering from catalogs for well over 100 years. We've never been able to get all our consumer needs met locally. The only difference is that now city people are using the type of methods country people have relied on for decades.

125 years :D

like said above it's nothing more than protectionism and it's bullshit. It's just another way that IL Dems are fucking over their constituents. This whole this is sad considering Chicago was the center of Mail-Order catalogs

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

Some of us live in an area where shopping choices are very limited without spending fifty bucks on gas...I shop online quite often. It's also nice to be able to make a purchase online and have it sent to someone else as a gift without leaving my chair.

In fact, I actually spend more money due to online shopping being so easy....I guess I am killing the economy??? :p

Ginger makes a good point. I remember catalogs that only required sales tax if you lived in certain states... It's funny how soon people forget...

Banned
    I worked as a sales tax auditor for the LA Dept of Revenue. States have been trying to collect sales taxes on interstate commerce sales for many years. The Supreme Court has stated over and over if the sale involves interstate (not intrastate) commerce then no sales tax is due. Therefore, if Amazon ships merchandise out of the state of IL, the state is not due the tax unless title or possession takes place in IL.

If Amazon is located in IL and shipped merchandise to CA who has nexus (a location, a salesman, warehouse, etc), Amazon would collect CA sales tax not IL and report it to the state of CA.

Amazon is going to get whacked by Texas because a warehouse does give them nexus there.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 03-16-2011 at 01:59 AM.