Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 City Lowers Police Testing Standards Because Not Enough Blacks Passed... 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    DAYTON -- The Dayton Police Department is lowering its testing standards for recruits.

It's a move required by the U.S. Department of Justice after it says not enough African-Americans passed the exam.

Dayton is in desperate need of officers to replace dozens of retirees. The hiring process was postponed for months because the D.O.J. rejected the original scores provided by the Dayton Civil Service Board, which administers the test. ....Under the previous requirements, candidates had to get a 66% on part one of the exam and a 72% on part two.....The D.O.J. approved new scoring policy only requires potential police officers to get a 58% and a 63%. That's the equivalent of an ‘F’ and a ‘D’.

“It becomes a safety issue for the people of our community,” said Dayton Fraternal Order of Police President, Randy Beane. “It becomes a safety issue to have an incompetent officer next to you in a life and death situation."....“The NAACP does not support individuals failing a test and then having the opportunity to be gainfully employed,” agreed Dayton NAACP .....The D.O.J. and Civil Service Board declined Dayton’s News Source’s repeat requests for interviews. The lower standards mean 258 more people passed the test. The city won't say how many were minorities.
    ".......Care to Take a guess ?

http://abc.daytonsnewssource.com/sha...vid_6103.shtml

Banned
    No big surprise there. I worked for the LA Dept of Revenue. Most of the women and blacks I worked with as auditors could not pass or would barely pass the accounting/auditors test. The test was quite hard. The Secretary detailed them into that position. A year later they had the experience and were grandfathered in. Before I left, the test was made easy with yes/no & multiple guess questions with all of the accounting problems removed. The education system in this country keeps going further and further into the crapper. Lowering the standard of policemen is ridiculous. We had a big scandal here about a black female police officer giving test answers to prospective officers before they took the test. You know what they did to her. Nothing.

It's the same in my department. Wanna take a guess who gets jammed up the most when it comes to undue familiarity and other breeches of security?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Failed the exam to be a heart surgeon? No prob, we'll just lower the bar.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

There were big disputes that were fought out in the open with the STL Fire Dept. I had a cousin who was a captain in that department who took early retirement as he said that he was afraid to put his life on the line with incompetant coworkers.

Think about it, cops and firemen depending on the others to cover them and then having someone who can't pass a test or show good judgement standing next to them. It's one thing to have a dumber than dirt coworker in an office or somewhere relatively safe and quite another where your life is on the line.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    It's the same in my department. Wanna take a guess who gets jammed up the most when it comes to undue familiarity and other breeches of security?
    Can you clarify what a low test score means? I doubt that I'm alone in wondering what sort of information we're testing for here. Are we talking about the radio codes and statutes or are we talking about basic skills like a civil service test?

I notice when I am reading the arrest reports online, that there are a lot of misspelled words and incorrect abbreviations, especially in two letter abbreviations for states and countries. They seem to make them up as they go along.

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    This has been going on all over for a long time. It's done for women too.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    This has been going on all over for a long time. It's done for women too.
    Is a somewhat representative force a legitimate goal?

Around here, police officer is one of the better paycheck type jobs, especially for someone with less than a college degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Is a somewhat representative force a legitimate goal?

Around here, police officer is one of the better paycheck type jobs, especially for someone with less than a college degree.
    I don't know about most cities but in Tulsa you need a college degree to be a police officer.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    Where was it a number of years ago...within the past ten that a city was so in need, allegedly, that they lowered the restrictions for policemen and what they got were a bunch of criminals walking around in police uniforms. New York? Chicago? Seems it was some Northeastern metropolitan area.
    Last edited by Calypso Jones; 03-12-2011 at 11:48 PM.