Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    It is no joke when you have an incompetent dumb ass as your partner in a life and death situation. Police put themselves in danger on a daily basis. Same is true for the military. If you are too dumb to pass the test regardless of race, he or she should not be hired. Dropping the standards on testing is dangerous and stupid regardless of all the social engineering you seem to espouse.
    Where in my post does it say that standards should be lowered or a dumbass should be in uniform?

Is it your belief that these people are too "dumb" to pass the test? Or are they too ignorant to pass the test?

For whatever reason, the pool of blacks who can read and do math at a 12th grade level is much smaller relative to their representation. And yet, these same guys after serving in the military and learning a work ethic (which a lot of young men acquire in the military regardless of race) seem almost universally capable of completing college level work. So, within a range perhaps, we're not talking about intelligence or common sense, we're talking about skills. Skills can be acquired.

Skills can be acquired. In theory, qualities can be learned as well but even some intelligent people seem quite resistant to intelligent organic morality, opting that they do for the canned idiocy they parrot.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Where in my post does it say that standards should be lowered or a dumbass should be in uniform?

Is it your belief that these people are too "dumb" to pass the test? Or are they too ignorant to pass the test?

For whatever reason, the pool of blacks who can read and do math at a 12th grade level is much smaller relative to their representation. And yet, these same guys after serving in the military and learning a work ethic (which a lot of young men acquire in the military regardless of race) seem almost universally capable of completing college level work. So, within a range perhaps, we're not talking about intelligence or common sense, we're talking about skills. Skills can be acquired.

Skills can be acquired. In theory, qualities can be learned as well but even some intelligent people seem quite resistant to intelligent organic morality, opting that they do for the canned idiocy they parrot.
    Uh, no. The guys who cannot read and do math at a 12th grade level are not supposed to get past the ASVAB. We're not a remedial schooling program for the dregs of our educational system, regardless of ethnicity. What we are is the organization that is trained and authorized to use lethal force in defense of our nation. Imbeciles, illiterates and the indolent are not wanted.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I do need to be fair here. Passing the test does not make one a good cop. Some people are just good test takers. There are supervisors where I work, sergeants and lieutenants, who are as dumb as a bag of hammers. However, there has to be a reason why a segment of the population cannot pass a simple civil service test. Believe me, it ain't rocket science. Hell, I nearly aced it.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I do need to be fair here. Passing the test does not make one a good cop. Some people are just good test takers. There are supervisors where I work, sergeants and lieutenants, who are as dumb as a bag of hammers. However, there has to be a reason why a segment of the population cannot pass a simple civil service test. Believe me, it ain't rocket science. Hell, I nearly aced it.
    This appears to be similar to the firefighter case. Years ago people claimed that hiring and promotion decisions were run by an old boy network and that the discrimination or need for connections was unacceptable. Hiring needed to be more objective, determined by a checklist of standards and testing. Then when that didn't produce the results they expected from a fair system (as in the New Haven firefighter exam) then they claimed that the test itself was discriminatory, or irrelevant, that each applicant ought to be considered on his merits.

Ody mentioned the military test, and given the range of acceptable scores on that, one could easily ask if a point or two really makes that much difference. Those tests are scored against a national sample and ranked by percentile, so each point lower on that test represents people who did better than you did. This cop test seems to be a fixed score, so theoretically everyone could fail or everyone succeed. The score you get can be compared to the group, but it doesn't necessarily mean someone else did better.

While it's interesting that the acceptable score is a failing score in any private school classroom, the question we are left with is if the difference between a 60 and a 58 is the difference between a good cop and a bad one, a genius and a moron. I doubt that a couple of points really makes that much difference.

Banned

Yes. They are too dumb/ignorant to be a police officer. It is not a right to be a police officer just because they are black. Civil service offers sample tests and answers to many tests that they give. Also, if you are deficient, get a tutor. Problem is if you are stupid, that will not help much. The department should be raising standards instead of lowering them. Just a guess but I would think that the military would not take anyone with an IQ under a 100 which most of these guys probably could not meet.

BTW, I worked with a black college educated auditor with a BS degree who would pay someone to write letters for him. I was amazed that a grad from a black university could pass an English course and not be able to write a 3 or 4 paragraph one page letter. I also remember helping a black caddy do a college accounting homework problem. You ready for this shit. He could not figure out how to compute interest ( I = P x R x T). That is 8 or 9th grade math. Unbelievable that his major might be in the accounting/business field.

Sorry, but I can't calculate it either. Then again, the only math I understand involves money.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Dayton is 43% black, and in an article from 2007 it said the police force was 88% "Anglo", which seems a bit odd for them to specify ethnicity rather than race, but let's assume it has some purpose.

Mind you, the country is 12% black, which corresponds directly to the number of cops on the police force in 2007.

Also, it would be interesting to know what the CMA population by race is, given that the police would be drawn from a broader pool than city limits.

Oddly, even though the country is 12% black, and 35% of federal employees are black, no one complaints about that imbalance.

Around here we supposedly have trouble keeping a diverse police force (my town is 95% caucasian) because black police academy graduates can get better pay writing speeding tickets for the FHP than doing police work for a city.

Banned
    Dayton is 43% black, and in an article from 2007 it said the police force was 88% "Anglo", which seems a bit odd for them to specify ethnicity rather than race, but let's assume it has some purpose.

Mind you, the country is 12% black, which corresponds directly to the number of cops on the police force in 2007.

Also, it would be interesting to know what the CMA population by race is, given that the police would be drawn from a broader pool than city limits.

Oddly, even though the country is 12% black, and 35% of federal employees are black, no one complaints about that imbalance.

Around here we supposedly have trouble keeping a diverse police force (my town is 95% caucasian) because black police academy graduates can get better pay writing speeding tickets for the FHP than doing police work for a city.
    I wonder if a racist like Holder thinks that over 80% of those playing pro football and basketball should be white. Not enough honkies playing.:eek:

A revelation just occurred. It's either brawn or brains that gets you most jobs. Dumb shits need not apply for police work. They can always get on as night watchman. Duh

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I wonder if a racist like Holder thinks that over 80% of those playing pro football and basketball should be white. Not enough honkies playing.:eek:

A revelation just occurred. It's either brawn or brains that gets you most jobs. Dumb shits need not apply for police work. They can always get on as night watchman. Duh
    Well, that gets back to the diversity argument. To date, I've seen no correlation between brawn and brains. If police departments only hire people who get the highest scores on math tests, then say hello to officers Yang, Sung, O, Takura, Chopahuyradhurarama, and Chan. Would white or black America really enjoy being policed by an all Oriental or East Indian police force? Doubtful. So somewhere between an exact match and significant representation is the happy medium.

If one judges from movies and television, what was America's opinion of the brainpower of the Irish policeman?

I was told by a police officer friend that having a degree showed that you were more disciplined and more likely to stick with something and show self improvement.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg