Thread: PC just died.

1. #1 PC just died. 
    Ok, so some symptoms.

Out of nowhere it just shuts down. I try to power it back up, and it has juice for 2 seconds, then dies again. Rinse, repeat, same thing. My first thought is the power supply just shit on me, which pisses me off because I spent good money on it.

I walked away for 5 minutes cursing, then come back and try again. I unplug everything but the power first. The power stays on for about 10 seconds this time. I let it sit for a few more minutes, try it again, and it stays running.

So I begin to plug everything back in, turn the machine on again, and while it powers up, there is nothing on the monitor. First thing that goes through my mind now is that my processor fried itself. When my friend and I built this machine neither of us had a properly sized fan, so we had to kitbash something. It's been 3 years now with no issues, but I was always worried about that. I unplug it all again, open the case up, and remove the fan. Asides from some dust, the processor looks fine. I unseat it, and it comes off the motherboard just fine. Doesn't feel hot or anything. So that seems good to me.

My next thought is to reseat the video card. I try that out, and still no video. Kinda stumped from here.

So, major power loss, but eventually it starts to work again. Then no video. None of the hardware components seemed overheated. I'm stumped. What you got?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Rock is the guy you need to talk to. ;)

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    sounds like the motherboard took a shit.

Bummer.

Internal components of the power supply could have overheated and malfunctioned. That's happened to me before more than once. Once it gets hot enough to malfunction, all sorts of problems will occur, including the 2 second power up, and following shutdown. Then when the power supply is cool enough to actually startup the computer, the damaged components in the power supply restrict adequate power from starting up things like video cards and possibly spinning up drives.

I can't really think of a good way to test a power supply that won't stay lit though.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Power supply or motherboard, either way if it is less than a dual core cpu, I wouldn't put any money in it.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg