Thread: Accidental Soup: Midwest/Asian Fusion.

1. #1 Accidental Soup: Midwest/Asian Fusion. 
    I decided to make a a soup in a hurry last night while I was cooking other things for dinner. I had a mug of it today for lunch and boy! I did real good! Here's an idea of what I did considering that the soup was unplanned and no measuring was involved.

Chicken broth (reserve half a cup)
    Diced cooked pork shoulder
    1 1/2 cups (more or less) of frozen mixed veggies
    1/2 cup frozen baby lima beans
    1/2 cup fresh green beans cut in fourths
    1/2 cup dry pasta "stars"
    3 celery ribs diced
    Diced onion (about 1/4 cup)
    1 tablespoon chili garlic paste
    2 tablespoons corn starch
    Soy sauce
    Sherry
    Szechuan spice mix

I dumped chicken broth in pot (about 3 - 4 cups) and started cooking the pasta stars in a separate pot. I added the pork and cooked the veggies for about 5 minutes in the microwave before adding them. I rinsed the stars and added them along with the soy sauce (4 or 5 shakes, probably).

I added the corn starch to the reserved broth and added a generous glug of wine. After dissolving the cornstarch mixture, it went into the simmering pot. After that, I added the spice and corrected the soup with salt and seasoned pepper. I let it get to know itself at a simmer for about an hour.

For being thrown together out of leftovers, it is remarkably simple and good. Just the thing for a weekday lunch or two. :)

Sounds delicious. I don't eat much meat at home, so I never have "leftovers" to throw into a soup, but this sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Sounds delicious. I don't eat much meat at home, so I never have "leftovers" to throw into a soup, but this sounds good.
    This would work with cooked fish or tofu although I'd add that type of ingredient right at the end. You could probably sub in veggie broth, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This would work with cooked fish or tofu although I'd add that type of ingredient right at the end. You could probably sub in veggie broth, too.
    I don't really cook fish at home either...and never tofu!! :) But shrimp and veggies are always on hand.

I've been using vegetable broth from the Fresh Market and I find that it's actually more flavorful than chicken broth. Weird how your tastes really change when you start banishing things from your diet.

I suppose this might also work well with some julienned ham, but the pork shoulder sounds so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I don't really cook fish at home either...and never tofu!! :) But shrimp and veggies are always on hand.

I've been using vegetable broth from the Fresh Market and I find that it's actually more flavorful than chicken broth. Weird how your tastes really change when you start banishing things from your diet.

I suppose this might also work well with some julienned ham, but the pork shoulder sounds so good.
    I have a lot of shrimp. I think I'll try that next time. :p