http://blogs.computerworld.com/17983...est_browser?ua

Blogs

IT Blogwatch
    A Daily Digest of IT Blogs from Richi Jennings

More posts | Read bio

March 16, 2011 - 4:58 A.M.
    Microsoft IE9 release: Download "the best browser"
    2 comments
    TAGS:battle of the browsers, browser, browser war, Browser Wars, browsers, enterprise, IE, ie9, Internet Explorer, internet explorer 9, Microsoft, MSFT, web browser, Web browsers
    IT TOPICS:Cloud Computing, Desktop Apps, Enterprise Apps, Internet, Security, Web Apps, Windows
    IE9 has finally been released for download. Microsoft calls Internet Explorer 9 the best browser for Windows -- it would say that, wouldn't it -- but what are bloggers saying?
    By Richi Jennings. March 16, 2011.
    Updated 8.25am EDT: add comment from Robert O'Callahan.

Microsoft's release date for IE9 was Monday. But before you download it, let's see if it really is "the best browser for Windows," as its proud parents claim. Time for another of Richi's review roundups. In IT Blogwatch, bloggers dig into the detail.

Your humble blogwatcher curated these bloggy bits for your entertainment. Not to mention What a disgruntled employee could leave in the code...
    (MSFT)

Gregg Keizer kicks us off today:
    Microsoft ... claims that it's the best browser for Windows because rivals "dilute" their energies on other operating systems. ... The message couldn't be clearer: Because Microsoft knows Windows, and develops only for Windows, IE9 is the best browser. ... So much for ... Chrome, Firefox ... or Safari.
    The company has touted key features, like "pinning," that rely on Windows 7, and ... [quotes] Windows-only browser usage statistics, [which] boosts its share numbers by dismissing other operating systems. ... Microsoft's claim that IE9 is the best browser on Windows rests largely on its ... GPU ... hardware acceleration. ... Other browsers, notably the upcoming Firefox 4, also offer hardware acceleration on Windows.

Tony Bradley talks safety:
    Much has been made of the blazing performance of IE9 ... and the overall immersive experience of the new browser. ... Less attention is [given to its] improved security. ... These four ... represent some of the more important changes. ...
    Microsoft's hybrid approach to the "do not track" dilemma seems to be the best option currently on the table. ...
    The SmartScreen Application Reputation protection assesses the reputation of a given file or download. ...
    When you use the pinned sites feature ... the site opens in its own browser session. ... [This] segregation means that session cookies are not accessible by other tabs or windows. ...
    [And] the browser session opens without any browser helper objects ... or add-on toolbars ... the potential attack surface is minimized.

But Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols has his own numbered list:
    IE 9 is much better than any other version of IE to date, itís still not my first pick for a Web browser. ... I recommend Chrome 10. Firefox 4 also looks like its worth considering. ...
    XP users? Youíre out of luck. ... even if Microsoft wants to ignore Mac OS X and Linux, why not at least a version for XP? ... The answer, of course, is that Microsoft wants to sell you Windows 7. ...
    IE 9 actually loses to Chrome and even to the Firefox 4 release candidate on ... benchmarks. ... Chrome just feels faster than IE9. ...
    The 64-bit model is a dog. ... Why is Microsoft deliberately insisting that their 64-bit users install a second-rate version? ...
    IE 9 is much more secure than any previous version of IE ... but it you really want to be safe, Chrome and Firefox appear to be the better choices. ...
    Iíve found multiple sites that simply wonít display quite right in IE 9. ... IE 9 actually does a lousy job of supporting HTML 5.

And Simon Mackie damns with faint praise:
    IE9 is a great improvement over previous incarnations; it ... now doesnít lag so very far behind.
    [But] unless you really want some of its novel features, like the ability to pin websites to the taskbar, or your choice is restricted by your employer ... I still canít recommend it over Firefox, Chrome and Opera.

Meanwhile, Robert O'Callahan wonders why Firefox isn't even faster:
    Microsoft's PR about "full hardware acceleration" is a myth. But it's true that some ... benchmarks consistently report better scores for IE9. ... The performance differences are explained by relatively small bugs in Firefox, bugs in IE9, and bugs in the benchmarks.
    FishIE Tank ... Firefox 4 RC spends a lot of its time doing security checks for the drawImage call ... I added a simple cache to avoid security checks ... and the resulting builds are now slightly faster than IE9.
    Speed Reading ... exercises a path that wasn't well optimized. ... [The new] builds include a tweak for that path, and are slightly faster than IE9.
    Mr Potato Gun, Preschool and HWACCEL ... we will change our timeout clamp to 4ms because that's what the spec says now. But wait, there's more! My testing shows that ... IE9 consistently clamps to ... about 3.2ms. ... It's certainly both very strange and very convenient for Microsoft's test scores!
    Microsoft lost the Browser wars years ago, but are only still in it because people are morons and they integrate the shit into Windows.

I'll stick to Chrome/Firefox

Wow! Viruses will get in at blazing speed now.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Wow! Viruses will get in at blazing speed now.
    yep...fuck IE, MS has been behind the ball on browsers since they beat the crap out of Netscape in the late 90's

I don't use IE, but that's because I was warned against it. Mozilla works well for me; what are y'all using?

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    I don't use IE, but that's because I was warned against it. Mozilla works well for me; what are y'all using?
    i was using Firefox and used it for years, until last summer, I switched to Chrome because FF kept crashing and freezeing....FF RC 4 is looking nice though

I use FF, Opera and then IE. IE is my last choice in case something just will not work on the others but that list is getting smaller as new versions of the other 2 come out.

IE is evil, it downloads pr0n!:eek:
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Que Englishman with Safari.

Quote Originally Posted by hoplophobe View Post
    I use FF, Opera and then IE. IE is my last choice in case something just will not work on the others but that list is getting smaller as new versions of the other 2 come out.
    you don't even need to do that, FF has an addon that lets you open IE only websites in a FF Tab