Thread: TSA body scans frying your body?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 TSA body scans frying your body? 
    The Transportation Security Administration is re-analyzing the radiation levels of X-ray body scanners installed in airports nationwide, after testing produced dramatically higher-than-expected results.

more

LOL! I love how people are wringing their hands over Japanese radiation in the wake of the tsunami but some of those same people will blithely step through airport scanners 2 or 3 times a week without another thought.
    It's like power plant radiation is somehow different from CT scans, dental xrays, security scanners, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    LOL! I love how people are wringing their hands over Japanese radiation in the wake of the tsunami but some of those same people will blithely step through airport scanners 2 or 3 times a week without another thought.
    It's like power plant radiation is somehow different from CT scans, dental xrays, security scanners, etc.
    The Japan emperor says there is nothing to worry about! :D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I doubt the airport scanner are a health risk but don't you think these things should have been tested? I betcha the government knows how much radiation is emitted from every machine from x rays to CT scans. Just goes to show how the government will police the private sector but not themselves. Amazing.

Banned
    It's kind of depressing given I've had 8 or so CT scans (overzealous doctors). Knowing my fate is probably to wind up in a cancer ward...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    It's kind of depressing given I've had 8 or so CT scans (overzealous doctors). Knowing my fate is probably to wind up in a cancer ward...
    The radiation scare is so overblown. I have had around 20 chest x rays during the 30 years I smoked. Plus a couple of sinus and dental x rays. Three CT due to auto wrecks. Then I worked 3 months x raying wells on atomic submarines where I wore film badges that detected milliroentgens. Never had any side effects and that has been many years.

The gov't was only off by about 1000%. :D

http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/16/ts...than-expected/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    The gov't was only off by about 1000%. :D

http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/16/ts...than-expected/
    I wonder how many milli rens of radiation these scan machines emit. The atomic energy or a federal agency determines what level of radiation is safe on a weekly/monthly basis. When I worked on nuke subs, a dosage higher than the standardized level meant that a worker could not go back to work for a certain period of time.

Looks like the TSA got caught with their pants down. The federal agency that regulates the radiation dosage of workers should pounce on this immediately cause this looks like it might be a safety hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I wonder how many milli rens of radiation these scan machines emit. The atomic energy or a federal agency determines what level of radiation is safe on a weekly/monthly basis. When I worked on nuke subs, a dosage higher than the standardized level meant that a worker could not go back to work for a certain period of time.

Looks like the TSA got caught with their pants down. The federal agency that regulates the radiation dosage of workers should pounce on this immediately cause this looks like it might be a safety hazard.
    True. The employees are the ones with the most expsoure.

When I worked for ALCOA we had a water tank that we put aluminum slabs in that would end up being "honey combed" for airplane wings...we had to x-ray the entire surface and do an ultra sound scan of each one...but that helps to keep the plane in the air, so it was not a waste of time... So next time you fly, look out at the wing and ask yourself "did Rob fuck up?" :D

I haven't been through one yet. I was kinda dreading doing it when I returned from my deployment, but as my flight was the first one of the morning, I had gotten there before the TSA even opened. There was about 20 other guys in uniform heading home as well, and as soon as the TSA opened up they just called all of us over and had us bypass the body scan machine. I was very appreciative of that.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.