Thread: Books?

1. #1 Books? 
    George Washington’s War: The Forging Of A Revolutionary Leader And The American Presidency

Picked this up yesterday with a couple sci-fi and fantasy books. I read 1776 while deployed last year, and was looking for a book that covered the entire war instead of just the beginning years.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    looks like one to pick up for my kindle...new books need to all come out in both formats at the same time. (this one is out in e-book format btw)

I'm getting an awful lot out of "A Patriot's History of The United States".

I also enjoyed "American Lion", which was the story of Andrew Jackson.

And while I'm at it:
    "American Caesar"....Douglas McArthur

And "Ghost Mountain Boys", which is the story of a WWII unit who fought in the Pacific, kept me awake at night. Read it.

I just picked up "Band of Brothers" in a thrift store for 50 cents.

Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health by Gary Taubes

This is completely fascinating but I won't be done in the next few days - it's essentially a textbook. The research is meticulous and the huge amount of referenced work is itself almost distracting since I read a few pages and then run down the cites and read those. :D

For those interested, Taubes has written a much shorter, much less technical book that briefly summarizes the key issues and offers a way of approaching nutrition for the self-experimenter called Why We Get Fat. I haven't read this one but it's got good reviews on Amazon.

I've been reading Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. The book is showing me that the original movie(Manhunter) is way better and more faithful to the book than the Red Dragon movie.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.