Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Past Presidential Elections 
    Banned
    If you could go back in time to each of these years, who might you have voted for?

For me:

1900: William McKinley
    1904: Theodore Roosevelt
    1908: William H. Taft
    1912: Theodore Roosevelt
    1916: Charles Evan Hughes (possibly no American involvement in WWI)
    1920: Warren G. Harding (Or, if he had lived, Teddy Roosevelt. Teddy died in 1919, but there was strong support in the GOP for a 1920 run by Teddy and he wanted it and he would've won).
    1924: Calvin Coolidge
    1929: Herbert Hoover
    1932: Franklin Roosevelt
    1936: Franklin Roosevelt
    1940: Franklin Roosevelt
    1944: Franklin Roosevelt. FDR was sickly, but I don't know that Dewey would've finished WWII as well as Roosevelt and Truman did.
    1948: Harry S. Truman
    1952: Dwight Eisenhower
    1956: Dwight Eisenhower
    1960: Richard Nixon (we might've avoided the Cuban Missile Crisis)
    1964: Lyndon Johnson
    1968: Richard Nixon
    1972: Richard Nixon
    1976: Gerald R. Ford (no Carter. Ford deserved a real term of his own).
    1980: George H.W. Bush (if he got the nomination).
    1984: Ronald Reagan
    1989: George H.W. Bush
    1992: Bill Clinton (I don't think Bush I had any real ideas of what to do with his second term, to be honest. Not a slight at the man, but he himself admitted he lacked "the vision thing.)
    1996: Bill Clinton (Dole wouldn't have been much better. Lesser of two evils vote, really)
    2000: George W. Bush
    2004: George W. Bush (John Kerry was too much of a flake)
    2008: Mitt Romney (had he gotten the nomination)
    Last edited by CaughtintheMiddle1990; 03-17-2011 at 08:42 AM.

I would have preferred Gary Hart to Mondale in 1984, before the Monkey Business scandal happened.

If I had been 2 years older in 1980, I would have voted for Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I would have preferred Gary Hart to Mondale in 1984, before the Monkey Business scandal happened.

If I had been 2 years older in 1980, I would have voted for Anderson.
    Anderson was a hack. He knew he would never beat Reagan in a primary so he went independent. He was also a RINO and ran on that platform. This is why he was soundly defeated.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Anderson was a hack. He knew he would never beat Reagan in a primary so he went independent. He was also a RINO and ran on that platform. This is why he was soundly defeated.

1980 is when the right took over the GOP. Anderson was the guy who was representing the traditional republicans that were being overthrown by the religious right. My parents liked him, that was before my mom became a super liberal. Anderson was a lot like the GOP governor of Michigan at the time, Milliken.

Banned
    What noonwitch said. Before '80 the GOP was a relatively moderate party, with (in the 50s-70s) a large liberal wing and (from the 70s onward) a growing conservative wing.

Power CUer
    Well, I couldn't have voted in the first five elections you list. :mad:
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Well, I couldn't have voted in the first five elections you list. :mad:
    Seems like I remember you saying the first election you participated in you voted for a fellow Virginian, something about his actions on the Potomac.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Seems like I remember you saying the first election you participated in you voted for a fellow Virginian, something about his actions on the Potomac.
    I was referring to the fact that women couldn't vote until 1920. Perhaps you hadn't heard. ;)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I was referring to the fact that women couldn't vote until 1920. Perhaps you hadn't heard. ;)
    Really? So that's when it all started going downhill. Next thing you know, y'all will want wear pants, too.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Really? So that's when it all started going downhill. Next thing you know, y'all will want wear pants, too.
    My husband says the descent began not with women voting, but with the self-starting automobile. Then women could go anywhere they wanted. :D