1. #1 Fabulous Finds Friday 
    Power CUer
    It's a gorgeous day in the DC area - sunny and bright, and will get into the seventies in the afternoon. My daffodils are all in bud and they will probably be in full bloom when I get home this evening.

TOTD: What's the best find you ever made at a garage sale, estate sale, thrift shop? A real treasure amid the junk?
    For me, it was a full set of depression glass goblets which I bought extremely cheap at an estate sale, and gave to a friend who collects that partcular pattern, as a Christmas gift. She was overwhelmed and I was happy to have gotten them at a rockbottom price.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

It snowed last night but it should be seasonable today.

TOTD: I'm a pretty canny shopper so I've gotten some great deals over the years. One that stands out was a large collection of very tarnished silver charms for charm bracelets. The total number was something like 46 or 47 and I got the lot from a antique/collectibles dealer for around $50.

When I cleaned them up and started evaluating them, I found that I had 6 charms individually worth $50 (for the collectible value), and a couple of dozen in the in the $30 - 40 buck range, in addition to those only worth the metal value. I make and wear sterling silver charm bracelets so I was very, very pleased with my find. :)

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I make and wear sterling silver charm bracelets so I was very, very pleased with my find. :)
    Well, good! Finally we have proof that you and I are indeed different people - I can't stand to wear jewelry that "moves", and the jangling of charm bracelets on others drives me crazy.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Well, good! Finally we have proof that you and I are indeed different people - I can't stand to wear jewelry that "moves", and the jangling of charm bracelets on others drives me crazy.
    LOL! I just love them (my mother wore charm bracelets) and I wear them all summer in appropriate venues (not church, not the moveis). They get a break when sweater season sets in, obviously. :D

Banned
    Beautiful sunny warm day in big B.R.

TOTD: I purchased a white/blue wooden lamp from eBay which has a picture of a lighthouse in the middle of it and lights up when the light is turned on. Paid $30 for it and the price tag was $240. It had been sitting in a shop for a long time because the shade had a small tear.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Nice and sunny today, should be warm too

TOTD: my wife got a George Forman grill for 3 bucks, works wonderfully and have had it for around 5 years. nothing fancy but who cares

Power CUer
    LOL! I just love them (my mother wore charm bracelets) and I wear them all summer in appropriate venues (not church, not the moveis). They get a break when sweater season sets in, obviously. :D
    My mother wore them too. I have bad, bad memories of the gold fishhook charm. I still have her charm bracelet; it weighs well over a pound, and the bracelet and charms are all 18k gold. That's my "gold" commodity investment. :p

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    My mother wore them too. I have bad, bad memories of the gold fishhook charm. I still have her charm bracelet; it weighs well over a pound, and the bracelet and charms are all 18k gold. That's my "gold" commodity investment. :p
    I also have my mother's 18 k gold charm bracelet! I don't wear it because it's too valuable for casual wear and too noisy for after 6:00 type of stuff.

Good Lord! We're still the same person. :eek:

Power CUer
    I also have my mother's 18 k gold charm bracelet! I don't wear it because it's too valuable for casual wear and too noisy for after 6:00 type of stuff.

Good Lord! We're still the same person. :eek:
    :eek: indeed.