Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Carter: McCain "milking" POW time 

DENVER — Former president Jimmy Carter called Republican presidential candidate John McCain a "distinguished naval officer," but he said the Arizona senator has been "milking every possible drop of advantage" from his time served as a prisoner of war in Vietnam.
    Carter spoke Thursday with USA TODAY and Gannett News Service reporters before Barack Obama's acceptance speech to cap off the Democratic National Convention. Carter spoke of Obama's challenges facing the lingering effects of racism in the United States and the ability of the Clintons to bring their supporters over to Obama. He decried Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman's decision to "abandon" the Democrats by speaking at the Republican convention next week.

Carter, however, focused heavily on McCain. He said he was bewildered by McCain's performance at the Saddleback Presidential Forum hosted by pastor and author Rick Warren in Lake Forest, Calif., earlier this month.

Carter said that whether he was asked about religion, domestic or foreign affairs, every answer came back to McCain's 5Ĺ years as a POW.

...Carter also spoke of the segregation he saw growing up and said racism is "always a subtle factor" in American politics. He called this November's election possibly the most "momentous, important" U.S. election in the past 100 years, and he was confident that Obama could overcome the racial divide.

But he said race could ultimately be the deciding factor. http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...terstitialskip
    Last edited by Gingersnap; 08-30-2008 at 12:31 PM. Reason: To put into B/N format
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Was Carter this upset with John Kerry's made-up wartime stories?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

AmPat - excellent point.

3 scratches = 3 purple hearts Kerry made up his war 'record' and concealed his real military jacket.

However, Mccain is a TRUE hero and yet Carter blasts him.

Carter is an idiot.

Stike that. Carter is an IRRELEVANT idiot.
    If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

John
    I think it would be awesome if McCain actually engineered an ad that compared and contrasted Obama's economic ideas to those of Carter. They are almost identical, and there are enough people alive today who freaking vote who will remember the Carter years with enough disdain to call their friends and family.

Obama's "Change" = Carters "Economic Reform". It's just relabeled. Actually, I think that if the McCain campaign put the dollars and donuts into showing the American people exactly how close Obama's and Carter's simplistic economic strategies are, then even hard core democrats would fear an Obama administration. In other words, Carter should just probably forget the name Obama for the near future. He already fucked up this country once, and now he's recruited a student who will surely do it again.
    Last edited by John; 08-30-2008 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I think it would be awesome if McCain actually engineered an ad that compared and contrasted Obama's economic ideas to those of Carter. They are almost identical, and there are enough people alive today who freaking vote who will remember the Carter years with enough disdain to call their friends and family.

Obama's "Change" = Carters "Economic Reform". It's just relabeled. Actually, I think that if the McCain campaign put the dollars and donuts into showing the American people exactly how close Obama's and Carter's simplistic economic strategies are, then even hard core democrats would fear an Obama administration. In other words, Carter should just probably forget the name Obama for the near future. He already fucked up this country once, and now he's recruited a student who will surely do it again.
    Excellent proposal!

As a bonus, maybe produce an ad contrasting the environmentalists from the 70's who preached of an "Imminent, unescapable New Ice Age brought on by Global Cooling" with Gore's gross exaggerations of oceans rising 240 inches from Global Warming?

:eek:
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Carter is a typical party hack and a complete and total idiot. He has nerve talking trash on ANYONE held captive against their will while we have the carter record in Iran and it's results on he world TODAY to stare us in the face.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Carter is a nasty, vindictive, bitter little man who should go home and build houses for the poor ,read his bible and pray for himself and his family.America has already rejected his unwanted economic and political 'wisdom' !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Carter is a nasty, vindictive, bitter little man who should go home and build houses for the poor ,read his bible and pray for himself and his family.America has already rejected his unwanted economic and political 'wisdom' !
    well . . . MOST of us have rejected him - but the press and the elitists on the left - but I repeat myself - adore him.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    well . . . MOST of us have rejected him - but the press and the elitists on the left - but I repeat myself - adore him.
    They liked that little weenie Tanker Dukakas also !

Carter is a bitter, angry old man who in my opinion sat at the helm of the worst administration in this nation's history. Carter never experienced anything in his entire life approaching what mccain went through for those years as a prisoner. Carter is nearing the end of his time. He senses that most voters today don't remember his term.

I was in the Army, serveda tour in Vietnam, and there hasn't a day gone by since that something doesn't remind me of that time. Mostly I'm silent, but occasionally I'll vocalize that remembrance. To be honest, I hadn't noticed mccain's constant references to his time as a POW, but I'm not a bitter, angry man whose greatest achievement was the worst disaster since the Depression.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.