Thread: Old People Need Single Malts, Microbrews Sez Booze Expert.

1. #1 Old People Need Single Malts, Microbrews Sez Booze Expert. 
    Expert: Hangovers worsen with age
    Published: March. 18, 2011 at 2:13 PM

SCHENECTADY, N.Y., March 18 (UPI) -- A New York state alcohol metabolism expert says hangovers get worse as drinkers age and cheap alcohol can lead to more intense morning-after discomfort.

Jim Schaefer, who also served as an anthropology professor at Union College in Schenectady, said hangovers worsen with age because of a drop in levels of enzymes responsible for breaking down alcohol into acetaldehyde and turning the acetaldehyde into non-toxic acetic acid, MSNBC reported Friday.

"It has been suggested that acetaldehyde is one of the key toxic chemicals that influences the severity of a hangover," Schaefer said. "So any deterioration in ADH (aldehyde dehydrogenase) levels would contribute to worse hangovers."

Schaefer said cheap alcoholic beverages can also influence the severity of a hangover due to the higher presence of congeners, the "chemical soup" resulting from the fermentation and distillation processes.

"The more expensive liquors are often filtered and triple or more distilled -- thus, cleaner alcohol, less junk," Schaefer said.

"As we age, we may be unable to avoid chemical changes that could be wrecking the efficiency of our liver, and we should avoid lousy intoxicants, as they are guaranteed to cause digestive or metabolic discomfort," he said.
    Well, that's what I got out of the article anyway.

UPI

It is much easier not to consume any solvents.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    It is much easier not to consume any solvents.
    I think that's point - give up Sterno and buy better booze.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I rarely have hangovers. I drink cheap (relatively cheap) hooch. Occasionally to excess. Like tonight. ;)

But I don't binge and I'm not an amateur drinker. I drink steadily for an evening like Saturday night. I wouldn't drive at this point, but I'm not sloppy.

I abhore a sloppy drunk.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

I don't drink enough to get hangovers very often. The last hangover I had was caused by pricey champagne. Bizarrely, I actually felt fine and didn't do anything to disgrace myself or anything but the next morning - wow! What a headache! I had 4 glasses over 3 hours on top of eating every snacky thing offered to me so I don't know what happened there. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I don't drink enough to get hangovers very often. The last hangover I had was caused by pricey champagne. Bizarrely, I actually felt fine and didn't do anything to disgrace myself or anything but the next morning - wow! What a headache! I had 4 glasses over 3 hours on top of eating every snacky thing offered to me so I don't know what happened there. :(
    You need to get really drunk.

Trust me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    You need to get really drunk.

Trust me. ;)
    No thanks. I was really drunk once. My hair still hurts.

No thanks. I was really drunk once. My hair still hurts.
    I used to have hair......:(

I find that sweet liquors, spirits and beer give me worse hangovers that dry. Like sugary sweetness plus alcohol causes the worse hangovers. That could explain why your champagne hangover was bad. For me, at least, the difference in hangovers between Jack & Coke versus Jack & Diet Coke is is tremendous, and yes, I've actually done that experiment.

Now that I'm older I drink less, less often, and I find I drink better quality beers and whiskey.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense