Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Help! My mother has started watching Fox News! 
    Cue the "my mother is too stupid to be able to trust her to make decisions on her own about what she watches and what she believes".

Liberals are nothing if not arrogant and condescending.

link

Zephie Donating Member (727 posts) Sun Mar-20-11 02:19 PM
    Original message
    Help! My mother has started watching Fox News!

Edited on Sun Mar-20-11 03:13 PM by Zephie
    I have talked about my mother a few times before. She is a very sweet older woman, but easily taken in. Lately her elderly lady friends have been pressuring her to watch Fox News because it might as well be God's Chosen Channel to them. I do not need to describe the fervent adherence that the white over 65 crowd has to the network, you already know.

That said, I was talking to my mother today and she started asking me questions about Libya. This is strange as generally she gets her political information from me - she is not a big news follower. The questions sounded to be decidedly coming from a pro-military intervention angle and I asked where she had heard about these things. "Who told you this?" I asked. "There was a politician on TV this morning talking about it." I asked who, and she said she didn't remember. Then she said she saw it on Fox. I was horrified. "Why are you watching Fox?" I asked. She told me that she wanted to keep up with the news more ("Things are getting scary, they talk about it at church") and that everyone has told her Fox is the best news source. I have told her many times about Fox and it's capitalistic and war-centric bias and asked why she followed their advice. She said her eyes were bothering her lately and that she wasn't reading the websites and links I've sent her email in the past few weeks because of it. She wants to watch something on TV instead.

Help me DU, I need a good TV news source that an older woman could follow. It doesn't need to be spoon fed news - my mother is quite sharp, but she is also not going to be able to follow something too c-span like.

She's feisty. If she keeps up to date now that she's interested, she could combat those blue haired old biddies on any important topic and win. I just need to help her find a place to get her information.

Edit: Guys, I'm not going to block a channel on her TV.
    Whoa_Nelly Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sun Mar-20-11 02:22 PM
    Response to Original message
    2. What about full screen Al-Jazeera English?

And push MSNBC if you can. I don;t watch any of the US MSM, but if I did, would choose MSNBC over all the others.

Also, maybe do a large print print out of short artivles about how FOX has been proven to be false.
    grahamhgreen Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Mar-20-11 02:23 PM
    4. First, she should watch "outfoxed". Then, Democracy Now, RT,

Al Jezeera, msnbc....

But there us no left counterpoint to Fox, unfortunately
    mrmpa Donating Member (328 posts)
    Sun Mar-20-11 02:25 PM
    8. try the guilt thing by telling her that Fox new goes against everything she ever taught you
    louis-t (1000+ posts) Sun Mar-20-11 02:49 PM
    Response to Reply #7
    21. Make sure she knows that fox repugs want to

tax her pension and take away her SS.
    They have to resort to lies and fear.
    Angry Dragon Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sun Mar-20-11 02:36 PM
    16. Perhaps you need to do an intervention

with your mother and her friends, something like a tupperware party
    where you sit them all down and school them all on the finer things that is the true news
    Politicalboi (1000+ posts) Sun Mar-20-11 02:59 PM
    26. If she not tech savy

Edited on Sun Mar-20-11 03:04 PM by Politicalboi
    Block that channel through parental control. LOL! If I ever catch my mom watching Faux I change it right away. She only watched it because it was the next channel through the shit load we have. Then I tell her not to watch that shit. I tell her that made my brother (her son) crazy.
    Try and send her some Daily Shows where Jon really catches Faux at lying.

Al-Jazeera English ????

Nothing like the terrorist proganda network to get the truth

Why is it super over the top super nutcase Lefties imbrace the most vile people in the world just because they are Anti- American assholes.

Zephie just wants to stop his/her Mother from hearing anything outside his/ her crazy bullshit; sound like a jack-hole that fears free minds.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Amazing tale, especially if true.

Hopefully her mom will realize what an idiot her daughter has become. Assuming any of this story is really true. :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

She said her eyes were bothering her lately and that she wasn't reading the websites and links I've sent her email in the past few weeks because of it.
    Translated: I can no longer stand the kookiness that fills my inbox.
    "Why are you watching Fox?" I asked. She told me that she wanted to keep up with the news more
    Translated: The kookiness you have been sending to my inbox is all lies.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Motown_Johnny (1000+ posts) Sun Mar-20-11 02:10 PM

30. set the V chip to block that channel

Even though the poster said she would not block the channel I really doubt it would take much arm twisting to get the DUmmie to do it. :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I'm surprised no one suggested Jon Stewart

OMG! That is the funniest thing I have ever read on this site and I have read a lot! The horrors of it all. His own mother watches FOX.

But there us no left counterpoint to Fox, unfortunately
    <spits water all over his laptop>

What, what, what?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post

What, what, what?
    LMAO...got to love far left wingnuts that think everything to the right of them is "Right Wing"

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post

What, what, what?
    I think I've still got the emails from some of these nitwits where they tried to tell me that CNN is right leaning and NPR was "center right".

Unless it's Pravda...the DUmmies think ALL news is biased to the conservatives.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.