Thread: Those who are parents...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    no that one is easy for liberals, The war was about slavery and everyone in the south was/is a bigoted asshole and they should have had everything taken from them and given to their oppressed slaves
    Maybe.

But they were Democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Maybe.

But they were Democrats.
    Same thing.

I explain things to my daughters in terms that they can understand. My oldest knows what bullies are, and I explain to her that sometimes you have to fight bullies so that they won't hurt you or people that you care about, but that you can't fight every bully every time. She gets that. My three-year-old is a bit tougher, as she hasn't started pre-K and hasn't been bullied by anyone except her sister, and she gives as good as she gets. I just have to come up with something simple enough for a toddler to understand, but not so simple that it doesn't convey the basic concepts.

How would you guys explain war to Wei?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    How's this:

Wei, all wars are resource wars and I enjoy beer, Texas Rangers baseball, and I plan to buy a 1965 T-Bird early next year so shut the fuck up.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    How's this:

Wei, all wars are resource wars and I enjoy beer, Texas Rangers baseball, and I plan to buy a 1965 T-Bird early next year so shut the fuck up.
    I like everything but the resource wars part, and the Rangers. Some wars are driven by other motivations (religious wars, for example) and I will always be a Yankees fan.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Same thing.

I explain things to my daughters in terms that they can understand. My oldest knows what bullies are, and I explain to her that sometimes you have to fight bullies so that they won't hurt you or people that you care about, but that you can't fight every bully every time. She gets that. My three-year-old is a bit tougher, as she hasn't started pre-K and hasn't been bullied by anyone except her sister, and she gives as good as she gets. I just have to come up with something simple enough for a toddler to understand, but not so simple that it doesn't convey the basic concepts.

yeah, but does a 3 year old really know or care why we're at war? I know if I tried to explain it to my 3 year old she'd look at me and ask me about something totally random. My older two couldn't care less either (6 and 7).

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    yeah, but does a 3 year old really know or care why we're at war? I know if I tried to explain it to my 3 year old she'd look at me and ask me about something totally random. My older two couldn't care less either (6 and 7).
    My seven-year-old actually asks fairly good questions. She doesn't understand all of the implications, but I try to explain things so that she can understand, especially since she was a baby the first time I deployed and she gets anxious about the idea of me going away again. The three-year-old just understands that there are bad guys in the world, and that they'd have gotten away with it if not for those meddling kids and their dog. :D
    --Odysseus

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    My seven-year-old actually asks fairly good questions. She doesn't understand all of the implications, but I try to explain things so that she can understand, especially since she was a baby the first time I deployed and she gets anxious about the idea of me going away again. The three-year-old just understands that there are bad guys in the world, and that they'd have gotten away with it if not for those meddling kids and their dog. :D
    LMAO...nice.

My son would probably care but his Aspberger's kinda gets in the way of it...my oldest daughter just cares about birds and dinosaurs.