Thread: U.S. Returns Young Girl, a Citizen, to Guatemala

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    But will Leonel be let back into the country when he flies back in? Emily never should have been sent back to Guatemala when they detained her grandfather. She should have been detained at the airport until her parents could come pick her up.
    I mis-read. I thought that the article said the parents were legal immigrants instead of illegal.

That, of course, changes everything. Sorry, Emily, but your parents are criminals. You can be re-united with them when they go back to Guatemala where they belong.

As for why Emily was sent back, it's because she would otherwise be an unaccompanied minor, and the airlines won't deal with children that young as unaccompanied minors. About the youngest that they will deal with is typically about 8 years old. ICE probably should have given her parents an opportunity to come and pick her up, but then there also would be the problem of proving custody. Lionel probably doesn't have any good ID on him, so how would he prove that he was her father? They can't just let anyone take the child who is in their custody at the moment, so my guess is the only thing that they could do with her was send her back from whence she came.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

That has left Emily, a pigtailed native of Long Island, in an unusual limbo. As a citizen, she has the right to re-enter her country. But her parents are illegal immigrants, which has complicated the prospect of a reunion.
    Simple.

Send the illegals back to their legal country of residence after a HUGE fine.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    I mis-read. I thought that the article said the parents were legal immigrants instead of illegal.

That, of course, changes everything. Sorry, Emily, but your parents are criminals. You can be re-united with them when they go back to Guatemala where they belong.

As for why Emily was sent back, it's because she would otherwise be an unaccompanied minor, and the airlines won't deal with children that young as unaccompanied minors. About the youngest that they will deal with is typically about 8 years old. ICE probably should have given her parents an opportunity to come and pick her up, but then there also would be the problem of proving custody. Lionel probably doesn't have any good ID on him, so how would he prove that he was her father? They can't just let anyone take the child who is in their custody at the moment, so my guess is the only thing that they could do with her was send her back from whence she came.

The only other option would be to notify CPS and place the child into foster care while the courts sort it out. Although, if there is no abuse or neglect, the parents would get Emily back and the immigration issue would not be addressed by family court, as it does not lie within their jurisdiction. CPS would like notify the INS, but that would be the extent of it.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The only other option would be to notify CPS and place the child into foster care while the courts sort it out. Although, if there is no abuse or neglect, the parents would get Emily back and the immigration issue would not be addressed by family court, as it does not lie within their jurisdiction. CPS would like notify the INS, but that would be the extent of it.
    Yep. And generally INS is permitting parents to remain here if there is a legal child. That is another issue, but certainly not something that should have been decided by airport personnel/immigration officials.

Put the kid up for adoption by honest, hardworking americans. Problem solved.

My guess is that the Grandfather was told he needed to return to Guatemala and he simply did so, taking the child with him, because he didn't know what else to do with her.

They weren't in the city that her parents live, the plane had been diverted and they had to go through customs at that point.

Although the NY Times says that she was "sent back to Guatemala" by the US it really isn't clear that there was anything more to this than immigration telling the Grandfather that he couldn't stay in the US. Now the parents are trying to figure out how to get her back to the US. In the process of this they outed themselves as illegal immigrants.

This is in response to the commenter asking what the parents thought they were doing.
    proud2BlibKansan Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Wed Mar-23-11 12:45 AM
    Response to Reply #4
    7. OMG

I would think families expect to be able to raise their children and to be treated humanely.

Humanely. Maybe you should look up the definition.
    And the US expects immigrants to obey our laws about immigrating here. Look it up.