Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Libya could become Obama liability in 2012 
    Libya could become Obama liability in 2012
    By Sam Youngman - 03/23/11 06:11 AM ET

Nuance on foreign policy is a cancer on Democratic presidential campaigns.

With a sudden military intervention in Libya that has come under criticism from both parties, President Obama is experiencing the early stages of this potentially fatal campaign disease.

As Obama struggles to explain the U.S. mission in Libya, more questions than answers are arising.

Republicans are seizing on those questions to underline their argument that Obama is an indecisive, uncertain leader. That will be their major pitch to voters in 2012.

Separately, Republicans and Democrats alike are upset that the administration didn’t consult more with Congress before taking action. Analysts are warning about parallels to Iraq, and all sides seem to be genuinely confused about what Obama is trying to accomplish.

“There is little doubt about the fact that his military involvement in Libya has put him at great risk politically,” said Lara Brown, a political science professor at Villanova University.

Presidential candidates must always be able to clearly explain their reasons for taking the U.S. into action. For that matter, they must also be able to easily explain their opposition to a war.

In 2004, Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) struggled to reconcile his vote backing action in Iraq with his opposition to the war. President George W. Bush’s campaign ridiculed the Massachusetts Democrat for voting for the Iraq war before voting against it.

Obama, in contrast, was boosted in 2008 from his clear opposition to the Iraq war. That helped him defeat a host of more experienced Democratic politicians, most notably Hillary Clinton, during his party’s primary battle.

In pushing for the fight in Libya, Obama has blurred his image as an anti-war president.

Brown said Obama’s decision to intervene in Libya will further sour the anti-war crowd that embraced him in 2008, propelling him to the White House.

“The progressives who made up Obama’s 2008 base are more ideologically and philosophically motivated than they are motivated by their party affiliation,” Brown said. “They would rather keep their principles and lose, rather than lose their principles and win.”
    The Hill

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    sadly we could end up with an "Anybody but Obama" group that elect the next GOP Candidate...and they would probably back a RINO like Romney or Huckabee

The West picked sides in a civil war too quickly and the other side had the temerity to win requiring the United States to, yet again, solve the problem.

If we can dump this off on Europe soon enough, it might not hurt Obama.

The funniest (in a dark way) thing about this whole debacle is that Obama was criticized for "dithering" when, in my opinion, he acted precipitously.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    The West picked sides in a civil war too quickly and the other side had the temerity to win requiring the United States to, yet again, solve the problem.

The funniest (in a dark way) thing about this whole debacle is that Obama was criticized for "dithering" when, in my opinion, he acted precipitously.
    he's being criticized for not taking any kind of stand and an inconsistant one over the last two months, Egypt, Wisconsin, Lybia, Japan, and all the other crisis. they guy is not good under pressure and it's shown

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    sadly we could end up with an "Anybody but Obama" group
    you mean the republican primary?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Wonder if Obumble knows he's supporting Al Qaeda by supporting the rebellion.

http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=212003

sounds like a situation we should stay out of.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    you mean the republican primary?
    no, I mean a group of voters that don't care who the GOP candidate is, basically whoever wins Iowa and/or NH getting the nomination and voting only for that person

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    he's being criticized for not taking any kind of stand and an inconsistant one over the last two months, Egypt, Wisconsin, Lybia, Japan, and all the other crisis. they guy is not good under pressure and it's shown
    That is just a narrative that people are trying out (and it competes with "dithering," BTW, but competing narratives have never stopped the Obama critics before). I do not take it seriously.

That is just a narrative that people are trying out (and it competes with "dithering," BTW, but competing narratives have never stopped the Obama critics before). I do not take it seriously.

Too quickly? Try too late. By dithering for several weeks before taking action, Obama guaranteed that it would fail. I can understand someone arguing for intervention on behalf of the anti-Qaddafi forces, and I can understand someone arguing against it, but I cannot imagine an argument for doing it badly and setting the United States up for failure.

BTW, Joe Biden on preemptive warfare:

I want to stand by that comment I made. The reason I made that comment is a warning. The reason, I don’t say those things lightly, Chris, you’ve known me for a long time. I was chairman of the Judiciary committee for 17 years or its ranking member. I teach separation of powers and constitutional law. This is something I know. So I got together and brought a group of Constitutional scholars together and write a piece I’m going to deliver to the whole United States Senate in pointing out the president has no Constitutional authority to take this nation to war against a country of 70 million people unless we’re attacked, or unless there is proof that we are about to be attacked. If he does, I would move to impeach him. The House obviously has to do that– but I would lead an effort to impeach him. The reason for my doing that- I don’t say it lightly, I don’t say it lightly.
    Does Obama know that Biden wants to impeach him? No, wait, that was Bush that he wanted to impeach.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!