Hybrid View

1. #1 Problems with calculating food storage?‏ 
    Problems with calculating food storage?‏
    Posted in Food Storage on March 22nd, 2011 by Jorgen Jensen – Be the first to comment

My wife and I have opened up one of our #10 cans that we have in our food storage and have occasionally been eating from it. It’s a really good creamy potato soup mix. So good, in fact, that we had some friends over the other week for dinner and prepared some for them, which they thoroughly enjoyed.

Anyway, eating it got me thinking… “If I had to live off just this soup mix for an entire year, how much would I need?” 2 servings is enough to fill you up until your next meal. So, based on that, I’d be OK in saying that if need be, I could live off 6 servings a day for a year, right?

6 servings a day = 2,136 servings for 1 year

I could buy enough of that soup to last for 1 year and I’d be fine, right? WRONG.

You see, the problem with calculating food storage according to SERVINGS is that you wont get enough CALORIES. 2 servings of creamy potato soup mix is 220 calories, which would equal 660 calories a day. You can’t survive on 660 calories a day. You’d wither away!

So while it may be tempting to think, “Awesome! I’ve got 2,136 servings in my food storage! I’m ready for a year”, keep in mind that you need 2000-3000 calories a day. Don’t think that just because you’re belly is full that you’re getting all you need.

And remember, your body needs a lot of different types of nutrients, not just potatoes.

A Highly Recommended Website

For those of you who would rather buy stuff from the grocery store than get dehydrated or freeze-dried bulk food storage, I found a fantastic webpage that was just updated March 1, 2011 with a 1-year emergency food supply list. The list has each item’s quantity, total calories and cost. Also included on this webpage is a detailed explanation of the foods in the list. Please check it out, print it out and take into consideration some of the suggestions therein.
    Interesting website for preppers. :)

Surviving the Future

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Interesting website for preppers. :)
    All you really need to do is make sure that you don't run out of bullets. And since bullets don't go bad, then it makes much more sense to stockpile guns and ammo than it does potato soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    All you really need to do is make sure that you don't run out of bullets. And since bullets don't go bad, then it makes much more sense to stockpile guns and ammo than it does potato soup.
    LOL! Well, we kind of want to avoid killing the neighbors and seizing their pantries.

At first, I mean. :p

Liberals taste like chicken.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I'll never know. One of the neighbors has already called dibs on the only hippies for miles around. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I'll never know. One of the neighbors has already called dibs on the only hippies for miles around. :(
    Just be sure and clean them thouroughly.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    isn't that Long Pig? maybe we should ask Rock...he might have an idea