Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 "a proposal for a 10-cent federal tax on every roll of toilet paper you buy." 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Suttle unrolls toilet paper tax

Mayor Jim Suttle went to Washington Tuesday flush with ideas for how federal officials could help cities like Omaha pay for multibillion-dollar sewer projects....Among the items on his brainstorming list: a proposal for a 10-cent federal tax on every roll of toilet paper you buy.

Based on the four-pack price for Charmin double rolls Tuesday at a midtown Hy-Vee, such a tax would add more than 10 percent to the per-roll price, pushing it over a buck.

The idea came from a failed 2009 House measure by an Oregon congressman to help cities and the environment.

“I heard about it and said, ‘Well, this is simple. Let's put it on the table,'” said Suttle. “It doesn't mean I endorse it.”

The mayor says Omaha needs help with the metro area's $1.7 billion bill for federally mandated sewer improvements. The work must be done by 2024.

Suttle talked about the mandate at a Tuesday meeting held by the U.S. Conference of Mayors. He didn't mention the toilet paper tax but said later that he's open to that and other ways to cover the sewer bill.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110323/NEWS01/703239866

First Republicans in the bedroom and now Democrats in the toilets.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    First Republicans in the bedroom and now Democrats in the toilets.
    I'm sure you get enough junk mail to help you avoid the voluntary tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I'm sure you get enough junk mail to help you avoid the voluntary tax.
    Actually, I don't. I live a pretty paperless life. If this tax happened where I live, it would be annoying since we buy TP in bulk about once a year.

Maybe it would make more sense to tax fruits, veggies, and dried beans. Sort of tax the source, you know? As a committed carnivore I could support this. :p

Actually, I don't. I live a pretty paperless life. If this tax happened where I live, it would be annoying since we buy TP in bulk about once a year.
    Good plan. When the collapse of civilization occurs, you will be queen! People will love you and despair!

Maybe it would make more sense to tax fruits, veggies, and dried beans. Sort of tax the source, you know? As a committed carnivore I could support this. :p
    Considering how avoiding taxes is a sport, I would invest in a new line of "paper towels" and my commercials would show how easily they fall apart with the slightest application of liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Good plan. When the collapse of civilization occurs, you will be queen! People will love you and despair!
    It pretty much works like that already.

Do you buy just one big massive giant roll?
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Maybe it would make more sense to tax fruits, veggies,
    Tax Nova!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Tax disposable diapers, tampons, and goldfish, ie huggies, pluggies, and gluggies.

You know, Americans fought a revolution because of pompous nitwits who would tax anything to take money from the people, those same people would have a corinary if they saw the taxing going on now.
    When do you think these idiots will feel enough, is enough?