Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Obama: Libyan mission is in the "national interest" of the USA 
    Bluebear Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Wed Mar-23-11 05:20 AM
    Original message
    Obama: Libyan mission is in the "national interest" of the USA

Advertisements [?]
    First aboard Air Force One on his way here from Santiago, Chile, Obama had to make phone calls to British Prime Minister David Cameron and French President Nicolas Sarkozy to try to clear up confusion about whether the United States is going to be able to hand off responsibility for policing the no-fly zone to key allies.

Then at the news conference here later in the day, Obama faced questions from reporters about whether he adequately prepared the American people before jumping into the difficult mission and whether he could articulate how such an operation is in the national interests of the U.S.

"Where a brutal dictator is threatening his people and saying he will show no mercy and go door-to-door to hunt people down, and we have the capacity to do something about it, it is in our national interest to do so," said Obama.

Clearly aware of the growing disenchantment with the move from fellow Democrats, however, Obama quickly noted it "doesn't mean we can solve every problem in the world."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/03/22/obama.libya.poli...
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...mesg_id=722185

Syrinx Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Wed Mar-23-11 05:24 AM
    Response to Original message
    1. I think President Obama is confused and overwhelmed

And so am I.
    If he is confused and overwhelmed then what in the fuck is he being president? Can he not handle the pressure? very scary.
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land

He'd do better sticking to the humanitarian aspect, then trying to say it's in our national interests.

But I agree, this whole situation just seems to show how ill prepared he is for that job.

I have been wondering if he's gotten a new found respect for Bush, and the decisions he had to make.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    He'd do better sticking to the humanitarian aspect, then trying to say it's in our national interests.

But I agree, this whole situation just seems to show how ill prepared he is for that job.

I have been wondering if he's gotten a new found respect for Bush, and the decisions he had to make.
    Be careful Sargent. Jones you're talking about your commander in chief !

eagleexpress
    It just goes to show he is and was never ready to be in office the next election we need someone with more experience in office

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    I'm enlisted, I can say things like that. It's the Officers who are bound by the UCMJ to keep their mouths shut.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post

He didn't say anything that crossed the line.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

I'm enlisted, I can say things like that. It's the Officers who are bound by the UCMJ to keep their mouths shut.
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    He didn't say anything that crossed the line.
    Exactly. If I were to say that Obama lacks the experience to run a paper route, I'd be in trouble. :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

The West was not ready for how quickly the opposition would lose. We were the only ones that could stop it from happening. That is the only thing I can account for why Obama did not act deliberately on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    The West was not ready for how quickly the opposition would lose. We were the only ones that could stop it from happening. That is the only thing I can account for why Obama did not act deliberately on this.
    Or, he just didn't care. Obama is a dilletante. Libya isn't important to him, and he wasn't about to do anything until he was shamed into it, at which point he did exactly the least amount that he could to save face. When Clinton was playing with Monica while he had the Israeli Prime Minister on the phone, I thought that it was the worst example of indifference to the job that I had ever seen, but ultimately, Clinton could be persuaded to act when he thought it necessary, while I have yet to see Obama take charge of anything, even his signature initiative, the health care bill. This is a guy who just can't be bothered with his job.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Or, he just didn't care. Obama is a dilletante. Libya isn't important to him, and he wasn't about to do anything until he was shamed into it, at which point he did exactly the least amount that he could to save face. When Clinton was playing with Monica while he had the Israeli Prime Minister on the phone, I thought that it was the worst example of indifference to the job that I had ever seen, but ultimately, Clinton could be persuaded to act when he thought it necessary, while I have yet to see Obama take charge of anything, even his signature initiative, the health care bill. This is a guy who just can't be bothered with his job.
    I was being serious. If you just want to do jokester stuff, I can go that route.