Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Question about joining the military 
    Banned
    Hey--

I've been considering now for a while joining the military, preferably the army. I'm 20 and I'd be a 4th generation army enlistee if I was to join.

However---

I suffer from two medical conditions. One a heart condition which is very easily controlled with medication. The condition isn't life threatening, and the medication required has no cognitive side effects. The other condition is varicose veins. They don't impede me really except to cause pain once in a while.

I'd like to serve in some way but I don't see how I'd be allowed to with these conditons.
    Last edited by CaughtintheMiddle1990; 03-24-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Hey--

I've been considering now for a while joining the military, preferably the army. I'm 20 and I'd be a 4th generation army enlistee if I was to join.

However---

I suffer from two medical conditions. One a heart condition which is very easily controlled with medication. The condition isn't life threatening, and the medication required has no cognitive side effects. The other condition is varicose veins. They don't impede me really except to cause pain once in a while.

I'd like to serve in some way but I don't see how I'd be allowed to with these conditons.
    The heart condition is going to be the deal breaker.

You could always work for the services as a civilian.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    The heart condition is going to be the deal breaker.

You could always work for the services as a civilian.
    Perhaps...But like I said, with the medication I'm on I get no symptoms of the condition. It's an electrical condition. My heart in terms of it's shape and size is normal; no physical abnormalities. Basically when off the medicine I get fast heart rates due to the electrical charges in the heart misfiring. But on the medication that never happens.

I really want to serve. I don't believe my conditions would impede the performance of whatever unit I'd be attached to--and that's what most important, group performance. Kennedy could serve well with a very fucked up back and Addison's Disease, and my conditions are nowhere near as debilitating.

I have no idea how the military views those conditions but you can at least fix the vein thing. They do it with lasers now and there's no downtime. You'd probably still develop more as you age but that would be later. :)

Perhaps...But like I said, with the medication I'm on I get no symptoms of the condition. It's an electrical condition. My heart in terms of it's shape and size is normal; no physical abnormalities. Basically when off the medicine I get fast heart rates due to the electrical charges in the heart misfiring. But on the medication that never happens.

I really want to serve. I don't believe my conditions would impede the performance of whatever unit I'd be attached to--and that's what most important, group performance. Kennedy could serve well with a very fucked up back and Addison's Disease, and my conditions are nowhere near as debilitating.
    You would have to go through basic training without medication...IF they would let you get that far.

We had a guy sent home during my basic training for Migranes. If you have certain types of asthma you're not able to get in.

I'm glad that you have the desire to serve. But the reality is you may have to find another way to do it.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar

Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome? My sister has that and she used the medication for a while but it wasn't working so she had the surgery, it's done much better to control it than the medication ever did.
    Last edited by fettpett; 03-24-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    You would have to go through basic training without medication...IF they would let you get that far.

We had a guy sent home during my basic training for Migranes. If you have certain types of asthma you're not able to get in.

I'm glad that you have the desire to serve. But the reality is you may have to find another way to do it.
    My father got in in 1976 after being turned down in 1972 (at age 18) for hypertension....

and my grandpa was allowed to continue to serve even after he contracted Malaria (while in the service. They had him stationed in Panama and he got Malaria there, and even after getting the Malaria they still sent him to Europe).

Banned
    I mean perhaps I could do something like the FBI. It's not the same as serving in the military sadly, but I have always had the desire to catch crooks.

I mean perhaps I could do something like the FBI. It's not the same as serving in the military sadly, but I have always had the desire to catch crooks.
    FBI agents have accounting degrees or law degrees. At least that's how it used to be.

But law enforcement is a good career. Lots of different ways to enter, too.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!

I doubt they will take you with what you said about the 'electrical charges in the heart'.

That is kinda serious when not on meds,

To put it into perspective. I wanted to join, but was told flat out no, because I have just on the strong side a heart murmur. I take Tylenol when going in for any operations, even dental teeth cleaning for it, but thats it, but they flat out told me no.

Basically the military doesn't want to be responsible for you if any thing happens. Say you are in the field and are unable to get those meds for a week or two. If you have a heart attack, they don't want to be at fault for it.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009