Thread: Question about joining the military

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Hey--

I've been considering now for a while joining the military, preferably the army. I'm 20 and I'd be a 4th generation army enlistee if I was to join.

However---

I suffer from two medical conditions. One a heart condition which is very easily controlled with medication. The condition isn't life threatening, and the medication required has no cognitive side effects. The other condition is varicose veins. They don't impede me really except to cause pain once in a while.

I'd like to serve in some way but I don't see how I'd be allowed to with these conditons.
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    The heart condition is going to be the deal breaker.

You could always work for the services as a civilian.
    That would be my guess. When I was going to sign up, the recruiter just told me to stop right there when I said "heart murmur." Pretty much anything heart-related and apparently they just won't take you at all. Too much liability, I suppose, from the standpoint of basic, and then for obvious reasons they don't want someone having a heart problem in the middle of a battle.

I'm sure you can go talk to a recruiter about it and see what the word is these days, but I'd lay odds they're going to say "no way" as soon as they hear anything like "heart condition."
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Not everyone is built the same way OP. there are many ways for you to serve your community and your country without necessarily joining the military. I can understand the desire to do so if there is a strong family history of service (I have family in service as well), but that's okay.

Maybe your minor heart problem is enough to prevent you from joining the military but you can also see it as an opportunity to come up with new ways to live a fulfilling life. Perhaps you can study really hard, ask all of the important questions, and use your brain to help your nation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post

Maybe your minor heart problem is enough to prevent you from joining the military but you can also see it as an opportunity to come up with new ways to live a fulfilling life. Perhaps you can study really hard, ask all of the important questions, and use your brain to help your nation.
    Wei I'm going to be nice here and give you a chance to clarify this part before you get ripped apart for the way it comes off.

I'm actually going to give you the benefit of doubt you didn't mean it the way it sounds.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

I mean perhaps I could do something like the FBI. It's not the same as serving in the military sadly, but I have always had the desire to catch crooks.
    Join corrections. It's good money and not as dangerous as TV leads you to believe, however, when shit goes down, it goes down.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Wei I'm going to be nice here and give you a chance to clarify this part before you get ripped apart for the way it comes off.

I'm actually going to give you the benefit of doubt you didn't mean it the way it sounds.
    No, it's exactly the way it sounds. Once a douche always a douche. All he did was repeat what Kerry said. Just paraphrased it. WeeWee needs to be banned.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

I know there are many different positions available to civilian contractors that work with the military. Not Black Water type stuff, but consultants and engineer type things. Maybe one of those careers might be interest. You could still serve while being a civilian.
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

I mean perhaps I could do something like the FBI. It's not the same as serving in the military sadly, but I have always had the desire to catch crooks.
    Have you checked into the Coast Guard yet? They might have different medical standards. My brother got rejected from the ROTC/Navy program for having bone spurs in his elbow and having astigmatism, but they would have taken him as a straight out enlistee.

The FBI might have similar requirements to the military. State cops are good jobs, but you generally need a Bachelor's degree in criminal justice or a similar field. County sheriff's officers are also good jobs-in Michigan, sometimes you can even get whatever they call the boat units. My county is on Lake St. Clair, so the Macomb County Sheriff's office patrols the US side of the lake. Any of the counties that border one of the big lakes, or has a big inland lake within it's boundaries has that kind of unit. Mostly, it's boat safety issues and such, but they occasionally work with the DEA and INS.

The big Cheese
    I was discharged for bursitis in my right shoulder.
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    I was discharged for bursitis in my right shoulder.
    I had bursitis of the knee once, a few years ago. Pretty damn painful if I recall correctly.

The big Cheese
    I had bursitis of the knee once, a few years ago. Pretty damn painful if I recall correctly.
    mine was degenerative. I wanted to stay in but they wouldnt pass me.

I had the shoulder ground out a couple of years ago.

one of the reasons I got into power lifting a strong man is because the rehab had me trying to build up lean muscle mass in my shoulders to counter the lack of bursa lining.

I started to get build shoulders and caught the lifting bug.
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.