Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    and the original design would only allow one app to run at a time which is a problem with laptops - kids on other software when they are supposed to be doing something else.
    I would bet it is already in the works. With wifi assignments and tests could be graded by the teacher without even handing them in, they would upload automatically when due.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I don't get the hate for the iPad. Even if you hate Apple, there are other competing tablets out there.

If I want to maintain some databases or run my financial software or mirror my workstation, I'll use my desktop - not a phone.

People like the idea of tablets because tablets do what most people use computers for 95% of the time: surfing the Internet, buying stuff off Amazon, reading books, mags, and blogs, commenting, using social media, and reading email or IMing. That you can also play games, watch movies, and manipulate music downloads as well as managing pix and clips is awesome.

I think most tablet-haters are men who refuse to accept a device that may require more than a hip pocket in terms of storage space.
    How is that so when most business men who require an out of office device to carry documentation and active programs already carry a laptop ?Again cells phones are for communication, computers are for work .Would you carry an Ipad just to use your cell phone or would you eventually require both ?

How is an Ipad any better than a laptop ?The major complaint I have with a non desktop computer is the mouse.To me a removable wireless mini mouse would be a far better design in a laptop than an mouse pad !Laptops already have built in links to networking as it is for a few bucks more a wireless mouse link would be a simple addition and Laser mice don't require a ball pad !

Ipads seem to me to be clumsy to use .In order to use one it's either flat on a surface or propped up on your lap or on your knee.The design seems to emulate writing on a piece of paper flat on a desk yet the it doesn't use a stylus but a keyboard .The only effective way to enter data or commands is to prop it up somehow so as to enable easy viewing .

From a pragmatic viewpoint an Ipad is an laptop where the display has been drawn into the keyboard and absorbed by it,roughly half an laptop .The goal seems to have been make it smaller and smarter looking but less practical to use .

It turns out it's more of a forced application of computer hardware,something doable that is rather clumsy to use .Again where is it more useful than a laptop ?

To expand on the application the Ipad does make sense as an reading device ,sort of a like large kindle .The design would be better if it folded in half like a book and the text were able to cross from one side to the other transparently,sort of like Microsofts original pad concept .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXjsqsmLSMg
    Last edited by megimoo; 03-24-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I would bet it is already in the works. With wifi assignments and tests could be graded by the teacher without even handing them in, they would upload automatically when due.
    Problem is - the text book industry is a very powerful lobby. This technology would cut very VERY deeply into their profits.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Ipads seem to me to be clumsy to use .In order to use one it's either flat on a surface or propped up on your lap or on your knee.The design seems to emulate writing on a piece of paper flat on a desk yet the it doesn't use a stylus but a keyboard .The only effective way to enter data or commands is to prop it up somehow so as to enable easy viewing .
    iPads have an optional cover that not only protects the device but functions as a prop for the device to give it 2 different angles for the user. I have no problem with the touch pad. There are a few solutions for keyboarding depending on your own inclinations including mouse solutions.

Men simply don't like the size. For women, this is mostly a non-issue.

Problem is - the text book industry is a very powerful lobby. This technology would cut very VERY deeply into their profits.
    When we buy electronic books for my wifes kindle we pay close to the paperback published price, they could set it up where they would still make there money.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Men simply don't like the size. For women, this is mostly a non-issue.
    Size does matter!

When we buy electronic books for my wifes kindle we pay close to the paperback published price, they could set it up where they would still make there money.
    Most new editions of text books have very VERY minor changes in them - furthermore - electronic textbooks would not wear out. I understand what you're saying - but it will be a VERY hard fight.

Most new editions of text books have very VERY minor changes in them - furthermore - electronic textbooks would not wear out. I understand what you're saying - but it will be a VERY hard fight.
    With user specific passwords and non transferability they could possibly make more money and kill the used textbook market.

With user specific passwords and non transferability they could possibly make more money and kill the used textbook market.
    College is a different matter all together - there is no used textbook market for high school text books.

College is a different matter all together - there is no used textbook market for high school text books.
    I know at the public schools I went to there wasn't, but in private high school we bought them used each year.