Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    [QUOTE=Gingersnap;390563]
    IPads have an optional cover that not only protects the device but functions as a prop for the device to give it 2 different angles for the user. I have no problem with the touch pad. There are a few solutions for keyboarding depending on your own inclinations including mouse solutions.

Here's an example of the trend to convert the Ipad into a laptop .again wheres the Ipad advantage over a laptop ?
    http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggmate-ipad-case
    Last edited by megimoo; 03-24-2011 at 11:48 PM.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    It would be easy to do, College text books can bet put on 3 devices and only last a few months. same thing could be done with high school text books. A Kindle/ipad type device could be made available to students that are restricted so nothing could be installed on them, the schools put on what books the student needs for their classes.

The textbook industry is one of the biggest rackets in the US. it's BS

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    It would be easy to do, College text books can bet put on 3 devices and only last a few months. same thing could be done with high school text books. A Kindle/ipad type device could be made available to students that are restricted so nothing could be installed on them, the schools put on what books the student needs for their classes.

The textbook industry is one of the biggest rackets in the US. it's BS
    That and the concept of eternal copyrights .Once something is written and made available to the public it seems to me to make sense to put it into the public domain after a reasonable period,say seven years

Most college professors don't teach these days,the graduate TA do.The professors write and publish text books .Every semester the required text books change and most new texts are written,usually by the department head.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    With user specific passwords and non transferability they could possibly make more money and kill the used textbook market.
    The Kindle base system has the ability to remove the books from your kindle anytime they care to as long as your link is active.The same could be done with college text books on a Kindle type reader. After every semester the book could be wiped from the reader .The concept has another advantage.

The Kindle type reader could carry every text required for the entire four years at once including reference books ,comments and summaries .The TA's that grade the students work use software to check against the work to make sure the work submitted is original and use plagiarism checkers to insure that is the case .

The trend these days is for those engaging in plagiarism to use word displacement software to defeat the plagiarism checkers .It rewrites the key words and phrases in several different ways then runs the new text against the checkers to make sure they slip through .Checkmate !
    Last edited by megimoo; 03-25-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I can see a tablet simply replacing some current tech for me. If they could cram a Bluetooth phone into one, I'd be sold.
    Tablets are not new, they have been around for years. Body shop estimators & adjusters had them back in the 90's...they also had lots of problems, like hard to see in sunlight & screen damage. Without a key board any thing they typed were full of typos..

I have looked at them & passed for now.

I have a couple nice laptops. I have a 32g iPod touch that has wi-fi, I have a Droid smart phone...I just don't see the need for an iPad right now, plus I hate fingerprints. It would be worse if I had OCD. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I know at the public schools I went to there wasn't, but in private high school we bought them used each year.
    I also went to a private high school and some books had to be bought. The good news is the school had a printing press and some were paperback & not very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I admit, I really want one. I don't use my home computer for anything heavy duty, and the i-pad would be perfect for it.
    That could be an exception to my comments. :)

If you just left it at home, or took it on a trip to keep in touch, that would be handy. But if you had to buy a keyboard, a stand, and all that other stuff, then it's more to carry around...so you are better off with a laptop. Just my opnion...

I have co-workers that let their kids play on the iPad before bedtime...they break. (the iPad, not the kids)

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    but one can see a big nipple ON an Ipad
    Guys who spend less time with their computers can actually see them in REAL LIFE. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Guys who spend less time with their computers can actually see them in REAL LIFE. :p
    so do I :D

[QUOTE=megimoo;390576]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    IPads have an optional cover that not only protects the device but functions as a prop for the device to give it 2 different angles for the user. I have no problem with the touch pad. There are a few solutions for keyboarding depending on your own inclinations including mouse solutions.

Here's an example of the trend to convert the Ipad into a laptop .again wheres the Ipad advantage over a laptop ?
    http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggmate-ipad-case
    You're making the mistake of thinking this is a replacement laptop - it isn't. If you look at the case you linked, you'll see that the iPad and case are still much, much thinner, lighter, and smaller than a laptop, notebook, or netbook.

I would guess that person using that kind of case with an iPad would probably only set up the keyboard when they were perched at a table in a coffee shop or bookstore (or at home). The rest of the time they'd just be noodling along reading books, blogs, or Twitter updates.

The article I posted made a very good point: tablets are the microwave ovens of the computing/entertainment device world. Sure, ovens, stoves, campfires, and blowtorches can do things that are impossible in a microwave but the people who use microwaves aren't making puff pastry or wedding cakes; they're reheating leftovers, boiling water for tea, and making popcorn.

Tablets are the same thing. People are using them in ways that the industry currently overlooks or doesn't care about.