Thread: Tornado!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Having lived through more than one tornado and having experienced damaging hail and hurricane-force winds just about every 5-7 years, I think the kid overreacted.

SOP during a tornado is to get down as much as possible - not to document the event. Funnel clouds are common out here so I guess we don't get that excited about them. Most funnel clouds never touch down. Where the kid is saying that a lot of damage has been done, I just didn't see it.

I came home one day and the entire second story of the house across the street was open because the winds had ripped the roof and front off. I came home one time and every window on the north side of my house was broken - through double pane glass. I came home one day and it was impossible to see the black asphalt on the road because every tree was stripped completely bare and all the leaves were plastered in the ground 2 inches deep. Two years ago it hailed so hard that the birds were all beaten to death in people's yards.

Colorado standards of extreme weather are not Pennsylvania standards. ;)
    Last edited by Gingersnap; 03-24-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    SOP during a tornado is to get down as much as possible - not to document the event
    Unless you're a weather forecaster. Then you are expected to run outside and watch. :D
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Having lived through more than one tornado and having experienced damaging hail and hurricane-force winds just about every 5-7 years, I think the kid overreacted.

SOP during a tornado is to get down as much as possible - not to document the event. Funnel clouds are common out here so I guess we don't get that excited about them. Most funnel clouds never touch down. Where the kid is saying that a lot of damage has been done, I just didn't see it.

I came home one day and the entire second story of the house across the street was open because the winds had ripped the roof and front off. I came home one time and every window on the north side of my house was broken - through double pane glass. I came home one day and it was impossible to see the black asphalt on the road because every tree was stripped completely bare and all the leaves were plastered in the ground 2 inches deep. Two years ago it hailed so hard that the birds were all beaten to death in people's yards.

Colorado standards of extreme weather are not Pennsylvania standards. ;)
    We do have quite different standards of extreme. :p

FYI - I've personally experienced 8 of them - 3 of them very close and personal. Used to live in Fairfield County Ohio which is tornado country. One basically passing right outside my bedroom window when I was 4. Destroyed the neighbors house about 12 feet away from my window - but left our house basically untouched. The worst was when one came down on the highway while I was driving - that one scared the shit out of me.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    We do have quite different standards of extreme. :p

FYI - I've personally experienced 8 of them - 3 of them very close and personal. Used to live in Fairfield County Ohio which is tornado country. One basically passing right outside my bedroom window when I was 4. Destroyed the neighbors house about 12 feet away from my window - but left our house basically untouched. The worst was when one came down on the highway while I was driving - that one scared the shit out of me.
    I've waited out a twister under an overpass. Talk about unfun. We just have more extreme stuff out here so we're less sensitive to it. Tornadoes do happen. Stuff burns up in wildfires. Snow crushes stuff. Brutal high winds destroy stuff.

*shrugs*

It's awful when it happens to you. Just awful.

I've waited out a twister under an overpass. Talk about unfun. We just have more extreme stuff out here so we're less sensitive to it. Tornadoes do happen. Stuff burns up in wildfires. Snow crushes stuff. Brutal high winds destroy stuff.

*shrugs*

It's awful when it happens to you. Just awful.
    Never do that again. Ever. Underpasses funnel the winds making them stronger, so any debris in them will be that much more deadly. If you have to shelter outside, find a ditch.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Never do that again. Ever. Underpasses funnel the winds making them stronger, so any debris in them will be that much more deadly. If you have to shelter outside, find a ditch.
    I couldn't think of anything else to do. Out here tornadoes are always accompanied by lightening. You're supposed to stay in your car with lightening. :(

I couldn't think of anything else to do. Out here tornadoes are always accompanied by lightening. You're supposed to stay in your car with lightening. :(
    They always will be, it's the nature of them. :p Dump your car in a ditch if you have to, but underpasses are extremely deadly if you know you are going to be caught in the path of one.

They always will be, it's the nature of them. :p Dump your car in a ditch if you have to, but underpasses are extremely deadly if you know you are going to be caught in the path of one.
    I guess we all lucked out (there were about 10 other cars sheltering). I sure never want to do it again. It wasn't a dramatic Hollywood moment or anything but it was still scary.

I had that situation three years ago and the ditch filled with water and drowned the truck. We had to get out of the truck in high fast water up to our waists during the worst part of the storm. Water fills ditches.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I had that situation three years ago and the ditch filled with water and drowned the truck. We had to get out of the truck in high fast water up to our waists during the worst part of the storm. Water fills ditches.
    That is does. There is no perfect answer to the situation. But I can tell you a ditch will be safer then being trapped in a wind tunnel with tons of shrapnel flying at 300mph.