1. #1 Wisconsin GOP demands emails from professor who blogged about ALEC 
    link

This is interesting

Newsjock Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Mar-25-11 01:52 AM
    Original message
    Wisconsin GOP demands emails from professor who blogged about ALEC

http://scholarcitizen.williamcronon.net/2011/03/24/open...
    By Prof. William Cronon

Here’s the headline: the Wisconsin Republican Party has issued an Open Records Law request for access to my emails since January 1 in response to a blog entry I posted on March 15 concerning the role of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) in influencing recent legislation in this state and across the country. I find this a disturbing development, and hope readers will bear with me as I explain the strange circumstances in which I find myself as a result.

Last week was quite a roller coaster for me. I spent the weekend of March 12-13 drafting an op-ed for the New York Times (published on March 22, and available at this link: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/22/opinion/22cronon.html ) about the several ways in which I believe that Scott Walker and the current leadership of the Republican Party in Wisconsin have departed not just from the longstanding culture of civility and good government in this state, but in fact from important traditions of their own party. In the course of writing that op-ed, I did some research trying to figure out where the current wave of conservative legislation in Wisconsin and elsewhere might be coming from.

As a result, last Tuesday night, March 15, I launched my first-ever entry for a blog I had long been planning on the theme of “Scholar as Citizen,” about how thoughtful scholarship can contribute to better understandings of issues and debates in the public realm. In my first blog entry, I published a study guide exploring the question “Who’s Really Behind Recent Republican Legislation in Wisconsin and Elsewhere?” I by no means had all the answers to this question, but I thought I had found enough useful leads that it was worth sharing them to help others investigate the American Legislative Exchange Council further. So I posted the link for the blog on Facebook and Twitter, sat back, and hoped that viral communication would bring the blog to people who might find it useful.

... What I did not anticipate—though I guess I should have seen it coming, given everything else that has happened in Wisconsin over the past couple months—was the communication that the University of Wisconsin-Madison received on Thursday afternoon, March 17—less than two days after I posted my blog—formally requesting under the state’s Open Records Law copies of all emails sent from or received by my University of Wisconsin—Madison email address pertaining to matters raised in my blog.

Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:37 PM
    To: Dowling, John
    Subject: Open Records Request

Dear Mr. Dowling,

Under Wisconsin open records law, we are requesting copies of the following items:

Copies of all emails into and out of Prof. William Cronon’s state email account from January 1, 2011 to present which reference any of the following terms: Republican, Scott Walker, recall, collective bargaining, AFSCME, WEAC, rally, union, Alberta Darling, Randy Hopper, Dan Kapanke, Rob Cowles, Scott Fitzgerald, Sheila Harsdorf, Luther Olsen, Glenn Grothman, Mary Lazich, Jeff Fitzgerald, Marty Beil, or Mary Bell.

We are making this request under Chapter 19.32 of the Wisconsin state statutes, through the Open Records law. Specifically, we would like to cite the following section of Wis. Stat. 19.32 (2) that defines a public record as “anything recorded or preserved that has been created or is being kept by the agency. This includes tapes, films, charts, photographs, computer printouts, etc.”

Thank you for your prompt attention, and please make us aware of any costs in advance of preparation of this request.

Sincerely,

Stephan Thompson

Republican Party of Wisconsin

608-257-4765
    Of course they are OUTRAGED.

Very_Boring_Name Donating Member (704 posts) Fri Mar-25-11 02:39 AM
    Response to Reply #7
    8. The agency is the American Legislative Exchange Council

However, since he seems to be a private citizen simply blogging about ALEC, and does not work for it or is associated to it in any way, this definately will not hold up.
    Maine_Nurse (443 posts) Fri Mar-25-11 02:58 AM
    Response to Reply #8
    11. Well...he apparently used a state-owned email address so...

that is probably the loophole that allows them to access the info. State workers here, whether at the university or DMV, have no expectation of privacy in any communications like that. I hope he and the school fight it, but I doubt they'll win.
    Ellipsis (1000+ posts) Fri Mar-25-11 03:00 AM
    Response to Original message
    12. Steve Cronin is Cool!!! I've heard him on NPR... Boy did they pick the wrong prof. to fuck with.

He tears them open on his blog... love it, love it, love it.
    slay Donating Member (1000+ posts) Ignore list Fri Mar-25-11 03:42 AM
    14. Walker is a megalomaniac out of control, abusing his power, and targeting anyone who questions him

It may be time for Wisconsin to have a general strike. And I don't just mean public employees - I mean every fucking person in the state. Something has got to give. At this rate Wisconsin will be devastated way before they can recall that piece of shit Walker. This guy acts like he's King of Wisconsin, not governor. I've never seen such contempt for THE PEOPLE of their own states as republican governors in Wisconsin, Ohio, Florida, and Michigan this year. I don't live in any of those states, but if I did, I would be looking for any legal option or action I could take against these fuckers! :mad: :grr:
    They are so cute when they announce that they are ignorant juveniles by being unable write anything without using vile language.
    HereSince1628 Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Mar-25-11 07:30 AM
    21. I don't know why he wouldn't have known this.

Computer accounts and computers on faculty desks are provided for institutional business. Appropriate faculty activity generally falls into 3 areas Teaching, Research, and Community Service. If he can defend his use of his account and equipment (and btw, his time) he should be ok.

I've seen the attempt to terrorize faculty over the use of their computer accounts before during a failed attempt to get union representation at Carroll College, also in Wisconsin.
    Since he is so outraged and plans to fight it he must have used state owned equipment and time to blog about this.
    Last edited by Carol; 03-25-2011 at 07:21 AM.

I've never seen such contempt for THE PEOPLE of their own states
    You mean like pushing through a healthcare bill, stimulus, and cap & trade bill nobody wants? It's amazing that when it's something they believe in, intrusive government is a-ok but when it's not, anything the government does is fascistic.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

If the laws in Wisconsin are anything like the "Open Government" laws in NC, he will have to turn over any and all emails except personal. This includes his work and any personal computers on which he collected information about these subjects. Anyone in NC can request these records at any time without stating a reason for the request. Anyone denied copies or access can bring civil action in court. Public record lawsuits are scheduled for immediate hearings and have priority over existing cases.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    slay Donating Member (1000+ posts) Ignore list Fri Mar-25-11 03:42 AM
    14. Walker is a megalomaniac out of control, abusing his power, and targeting anyone who questions him

It may be time for Wisconsin to have a general strike. And I don't just mean public employees - I mean every fucking person in the state. Something has got to give. At this rate Wisconsin will be devastated way before they can recall that piece of shit Walker. This guy acts like he's King of Wisconsin, not governor. I've never seen such contempt for THE PEOPLE of their own states as republican governors in Wisconsin, Ohio, Florida, and Michigan this year. I don't live in any of those states, but if I did, I would be looking for any legal option or action I could take against these fuckers!

TRANSLATION...

:D
    May the FORCE be with you!