Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecate View Post
    When a government is this bankrupt, I promise you that nothing is off the table.

Democrats... Republicans... It doesn't matter. They will come up with virtually anything to extract your wealth and to save their own political asses.
    hence the reason you only hear from em every 2 years
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Never say never with this administration...they will do whatever they have to in order to further their agenda...damn the people and what they want.
    Which is why I put the last part on...not right now... They will wait until after the elections to pull that stunt ;)
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

there's always congressional motors to fall back on

[youtube]rAqPMJFaEdY[/youtube]
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

They'd have a hell of a time governing this. How are you supposed to substantiate it? Do you know how many cars there are? Unless they throw in a blanket tax, this is just a logistic impossibility.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    They'd have a hell of a time governing this. How are you supposed to substantiate it? Do you know how many cars there are? Unless they throw in a blanket tax, this is just a logistic impossibility.
    If the gov. puts them on new cars, it will kill the auto industry. People will just buy used or run them till they fall apart. The gov. has already tried this kind of stupidity with the luxury tax on expensive cars and boats. People do not like punitive taxes and will do everything to avoid them.

I haven't heard these commercials for a little while, but some were running on the radio here locally not long ago. It was for car insurance where your rates were determined by the number of miles you drive. As much as I hate to admit it, I might actually make out under a system like that. My car is 8 years old (bought it new in 2003) and only has ~64K miles on it.

As for GPS tracking systems being installed on modern automobiles, I heard the "plug-in" for the device already exists in any vehicle after about '98 or '99. I have not personally researched it, or independently verified it for myself... I've just heard it before. Would love to ask a mechanic if they know anything about it.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    it won't be overly hard to tax people, gps and a mileage gage will do the trick. However mandating that the entire country put this kind of device on their cars would cause and uproar, as well it should. it's bullshit.

BTW Washington State had looked into doing this a couple years ago. didn't go anywhere if i remember correctly

Stamp Act anyone?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Fabulous Poster
    When I lived in Virginia, cars had to be inspected every year. No reason why the inspection station couldn't punch in your mileage, and the state send you a bill.

I really don't understand why they keep trying to be so creative with these taxes. Pass a sales tax and get it over with. No exemptions, no exceptions. 1% across the board. You buy a million dollar house? You pay $10,000 in sales tax. You buy a $10,000 car, you pay $100 in sales tax. That's not going to kill anybody.

Wait, I have an idea. Let's round up the illegals from Mexico and charge Mexico to have them returned alive. Otherwise, we deport them to Yemen.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    When I lived in Virginia, cars had to be inspected every year. No reason why the inspection station couldn't punch in your mileage, and the state send you a bill.

I really don't understand why they keep trying to be so creative with these taxes. Pass a sales tax and get it over with. No exemptions, no exceptions. 1% across the board. You buy a million dollar house? You pay $10,000 in sales tax. You buy a $10,000 car, you pay $100 in sales tax. That's not going to kill anybody.

Wait, I have an idea. Let's round up the illegals from Mexico and charge Mexico to have them returned alive. Otherwise, we deport them to Yemen.
    wow...something I agree with :D