Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Cleveland Woman turns 119 - possibly oldest living person on Earth 
    http://news.yahoo.com/video/clevelan...s-119-24619593

This should make all you old-timers feel better, this woman is 119 years old, she's outlived her children and now lives with her 60-something year old grandson.

She's apparently in good health taking only supplements and she can take care of herself fairly well.

Guinness won't recognise her as the oldest person alive because she doesn't have access to her original birth certificate but that's because she was born in 1892 before they issued birth certificates to black people in the south.

Astonishing
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/video/clevelan...s-119-24619593

This should make all you old-timers feel better, this woman is 119 years old, she's outlived her children and now lives with her 60-something year old grandson.

She's apparently in good health taking only supplements and she can take care of herself fairly well.

Guinness won't recognise her as the oldest person alive because she doesn't have access to her original birth certificate but that's because she was born in 1892 before they issued birth certificates to black people in the south.

Astonishing
    Not for long, she is

So is Guinness a racist organization or following the established rules??

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    [ he was born in 1892 before they issued birth certificates to black people in the south.
    What a crock of shit. Birth certificates weren't issued to anyone in most states until 1900 or later.

However, there are other ways of proving ones age. Rebecca should show up in the 1900 census , the 1910 census, the 1920 census, and the 1930 census.

If she's 8 , 18, and 28 in those census records, then Guiness should accept that. In general , the youngest age at which you appear in a public record is considered the most accurate, because you wouldn't be there if you didn't exist, and the younger you are the less reason there is for anyone to lie, as well as the room for error being smaller.

For example, if a woman is age 42 in the 1880 census, 36 in the 1870 census, and 3 in the 1840 census, then you establish her birthdate as being "about 1838".

Rebecca should be able to prove her age with the census. Mississippi didn't issue birth certificate for ANYONE until 1912.

I am so disappointed in Weible, twisting facts that way, who duh thought.:(
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
    Not for long, she is

So is Guinness a racist organization or following the established rules??
    I think they actually make the rules, and let's not forget this is a book used for bar bets.

But if they are going to be the keeper of records, then they ought to be reasonable. If she's in the 1900 census, that ought to suffice.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    http://www.afro.com/sections/news/af...m?storyid=4459
    An update on the Guinness World Records Web site explained that more details were discovered about Lanier's birth through census records. Two documents reveal that Lanier’s actual birth may have been in 1905 or 1906.

“Both the 1920 and 1930 census reports were based on verbal responses, so even with any slight misspellings, this shouldn't deter us from recognizing who is who,” Robert Young, Senior Guinness World Records Gerontology consultant said in a statement.

The company is still trying to uncover early census matches from 1900 or 1910.
    the 1900 records are going to be their best bet, the 1890 records were destroyed in a fire in 1921 so it will be hard to find her parent's. 1905-1906 sounds off too me if her parent's were former slaves, they would have been in their 40's and i can't see that, 1892 sounds much more reasonable
    Last edited by fettpett; 03-26-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I think they actually make the rules, and let's not forget this is a book used for bar bets.

But if they are going to be the keeper of records, then they ought to be reasonable. If she's in the 1900 census, that ought to suffice.
    it's not easy, census records can be wrong, every easily, I've done quite a bit of genealogy research over the last few years and nothing more of a pain in the ass than figuring out if someone in a census record is the right person or not. The census takers retuninely got names misspelled (either because they made a mistake, were morons, or had shitty handwriting). Also due to federal law census records have a 72 year shelf life, meaning that they aren't made public record till after that time. So in 2012 the 1940 records will be made available. which will go a LONG way in helping me find my grandmothers real parents.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    it's not easy, census records can be wrong, every easily, I've done quite a bit of genealogy research over the last few years and nothing more of a pain in the ass than figuring out if someone in a census record is the right person or not. .
    I have never found multiple census records which were consistently wrong. If Beulah is 2 in the 1900 census, then she is no less than 2 in 1900. If she is then 9 in 1910, then 1910 is wrong.

BTW, in case you haven't come across this, I had a bear of a time finding my paternal maternal great grandfather in the 1870 census. His parents had died and he was living with his grandfather with a different surname. The reason I couldn't find him was the cultural habit of my home region to refer to children by their first and middle name. So even though his name was Edgar Mumford, he was in the household of Howard Truitt as "Edgar Pryor", because his name was Edgar Pryor Mumford.

They should just chop off an arm or leg and count the rings. :D

I knew WE WE would make an innocent story into something about race.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I am so disappointed in Weible, twisting facts that way, who duh thought.:(
    It was actually the reporter in the video who made the claim.

While your average person wouldn't know when birth certificates began being issued, you would think a reporter would check a claim of discrimination.