Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 William H. Taft: The first Atheist or non-religious President? 
    Banned
    Was doing a little reading, and I figured with all the hoorah over the past few years with regard to religion and Presidents (Bush's evangelicalism, Obama's questionable religious views, Romney's Mormonism):

Before becoming president, Taft was offered the presidency of Yale University, at that time affiliated with the Congregationalist Church; Taft turned the post down, saying, "I do not believe in the divinity of Christ."

If he was being truthful that statement, then he may have been our first truly non-religious, possibly Atheist president--He was raised Unitarian so he had no religious or family reason for not believing otherwise

Dude why do you have a obsession with past presidents? How about talking about a sports team or women? Just a suggestion.

It's a symptom
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Dude why do you have a obsession with past presidents? How about talking about a sports team or women? Just a suggestion.
    He's a history buff, I enjoy it too and since I left high school Iv'e had zero interest in sports.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    He's a history buff, I enjoy it too and since I left high school Iv'e had zero interest in sports.
    same here, except I enjoy sports as well.

However CTM, don't get caught up in the idea that he was an atheist, he was not, he was a Unitarian which doesn't believe in the trinity Godhead of typical Christian denominations and thus don't believe that Jesus was/is God and there for isn't divine. This doesn't mean he wasn't religious, just couldn't accept a position at a Christian College that promoted the idea that Christ was divine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarianism

Taft wasn't the only Unitarian President, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, John Quincy Adams, Millard Fillmore
    Last edited by fettpett; 03-26-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    same here, except I enjoy sports as well.

However CTM, don't get caught up in the idea that he was an atheist, he was not, he was a Unitarian which doesn't believe in the trinity Godhead of typical Christian demoninations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarianism

Taft wasn't the only Unitarian President, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, John Quincy Adams, Millard Fillmore
    Ah ok. I was unaware of that--I'm not at all familiar with Unitarianism.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I talk about women in the Lounge section. This is a politics forum, and politics is the only sport I enjoy. And I find our past presidents more interesting than the most recent few.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Ah ok. I was unaware of that--I'm not at all familiar with Unitarianism.
    same here, I don't buy it, but thats my opinion.

It would be nice to have a History subforum too, but doubt that will happen :(

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    It would be nice to have a History subforum too, but doubt that will happen :(
    I concur. Perhaps you, I and any interested others could petition for it?