Thread: Washington DC

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Williamsburg is expensive, and the kids will be bored out of their minds, unless they're total history geeks. It's set up so that parents think the kids will love it (and I love it) but the kids pretty much drag around, getting hot and bored, and can't wait to go back to the hotel with a pool. Plus, it's a fake town. Think of Disney builds history.

I agree on Mt. Vernon...I loved that place.

I guess I was a total history geek as a kid, because I loved it. Part of the reason was because I played the violin and one of the stops I made was at the violin maker's shop, and I got to see how they were made. I also liked the book binder, and the candy shop.

It's not all a fake town, some of the buildings are restored or preserved originals, like the old capitol building and the governor's mansion.

But I'm also a road side america fan-I love kitschy tourist traps. One of these days, I'll get to South of the Border.

eagleexpress
    All of these ideas are wonderful and getting us excited for the trip. My husband said we each get to pick 3 things to do and that day will ours from food to what we see. He googled the Twiight Tattoo and that and The Old Guard and Changing of the Guard is his picks

Quote Originally Posted by eagleexpress View Post
    All of these ideas are wonderful and getting us excited for the trip. My husband said we each get to pick 3 things to do and that day will ours from food to what we see. He googled the Twiight Tattoo and that and The Old Guard and Changing of the Guard is his picks
    You must must must see the changing of the guard. I saw it for the first time last summer and it truly was magnificent.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I guess I was a total history geek as a kid, because I loved it. Part of the reason was because I played the violin and one of the stops I made was at the violin maker's shop, and I got to see how they were made. I also liked the book binder, and the candy shop.

It's not all a fake town, some of the buildings are restored or preserved originals, like the old capitol building and the governor's mansion.

But I'm also a road side america fan-I love kitschy tourist traps. One of these days, I'll get to South of the Border.
    I was a geek as well and loved it. When I took the boys they were pretty bored, although it was on the day we were traveling and we had Busch Gardens set up for the next two days, so rollercoasters and waterparks were much more in their minds than the cobbler's workshop, so that may have had something to do with it.

I spend a lot of time at Gettysburg and that has colored me on the concept of the preserved historical town, versus the "fake" town.

Williamsburg is definitely a place to hit at some time, but I'd combine it as a couple of days with Busch Gardens and even Jamestown, rather than D.C. There is just so much to see and do in D.C. that I always consider that a trip on its own.

I am also geographically fortunate in that I can go to D.C. pretty much at will, rather than having it a special vacation that takes more planning and time. The last time I went it was planned 2 weeks before hand as an afterthought.

By the way, D.C. for Memorial Day weekend is fantastic...Rolling Thunder is a sight to behold and all the veterans congregating at one time is really a great event. I'd like to take in D.C. on that weekend every year if I could.