Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Copyright Police Want Truck Drivers To Have Licensed Cab Music 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    The Belgian music royalty collecting agency SABAM has once again stepped up to enforce their strict copyright regime. After collecting money for fake artists and forgetting to pay out to real ones, they are now targeting truck drivers who listen to music in their cabs without an appropriate license.

truckRoyalty collection agencies are known for going to extremes to claim money on behalf of artists and music composers.

They target schools and kids’ community centers, charge charities for the singing of Christmas carols without a license, and even crash weddings if they have to.

While these copyright collectors are very strict in forcing their rules onto others, they often fail to live up to their own standards. This attitude was brilliantly exposed by the Belgian TV-show Basta who exposed local music royalty collecting agency SABAM for charging people to pay non-existent artists.

This week SABAM made the headlines once again, this time claiming money from truck drivers who listen to music in their cabs. Since a truck’s cab is a place of work the drivers are obliged to pay royalty fees, they argue. Those are simply the rules according to the copyright police, but not everyone agrees.

“It’s utter nonsense,” said Maggie De Block, member of the Belgian Parliament in a response to the claim. “The truck drivers don’t need the radio so much for playing music, but for their safety. So it is illogical that they should pay for it.”

http://torrentfreak.com/copyright-po...-music-110327/

I see this as the next scam the RIAA tries here in the U.S. under their false pretense that the music industry is in decline today because I download music for free.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    I see this as the next scam the RIAA tries here in the U.S. under their false pretense that the music industry is in decline today because I download music for free.
    Free downloads do cut into music revenues, but trying to extort money is only going to increase the resentments that drive much of the free downloading. They'd be better off investing in better security for their content, the way that software developers do, so that they can sell online without losing their shirts. People only buy CDs as gifts. For their own listening, they download, and the will download from the cheapest and most convenient sites.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Free downloads do cut into music revenues, but trying to extort money is only going to increase the resentments that drive much of the free downloading. They'd be better off investing in better security for their content, the way that software developers do, so that they can sell online without losing their shirts. People only buy CDs as gifts. For their own listening, they download, and the will download from the cheapest and most convenient sites.
    If they had embraced the internet and downloading directly early on instead of fighting the death of the hardcopy CD market, the current situation wouldn't be what it is. Instead of suing the ass off of Napster and going after single moms, and set up their own business model of selling music online, they wouldn't have this problem now.

they screwed the pooch and now are paying for it.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    If they had embraced the internet and downloading directly early on instead of fighting the death of the hardcopy CD market, the current situation wouldn't be what it is. Instead of suing the ass off of Napster and going after single moms, and set up their own business model of selling music online, they wouldn't have this problem now.

they screwed the pooch and now are paying for it.
    Agreed.

It's the same idiotic mindset that drove the MPAA to oppose home video machines. Now, most revenue for features comes from DVD sales and Netflix downloads. It's their primary revenue stream. If they'd been smart, they'd have worked with Napster by offering exclusive content in return for controls and royalties, and Napster could have easily sold advertising which would have covered the licenses fees.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    The problem is...is that music downloading is just the latest technology that the RIAA has gone after with the same tired" they'll bankrupt the artist" argument.

Blank cassette tapes...VHS tapes...and CD-Rs were all said to be the end of commercial music/movies etc etc...

Yet they are all still here. And we pay a percentage of the cost of all the above mentioned products to the RIAA. It's extortion.

The only place where downloading music has cut into sales is in singles. Album sales increased during the same time. People are downloading a song...deciding they like it and going to buy the album.

ASCAP...BMI...SESAC those are the primary royalty collection companies for the music industry. I know because at one time or another in my broadcast career I've had to fill out the paperwork for my station to cut a check to pay them for the music we play at the station.

Go into a bar and look at the DJ booth....you'll find a sticker. A doctors office or mall that plays commercial music over their speakers...somewhere there is a sticker from one of those companies.

So this argument that me downloading an mp3 of Bon Jovi's "Runaway" is somehow gonna send Jon, Ritchie and the boys to the poor house doesn't wash with me.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    The only place where downloading music has cut into sales is in singles. Album sales increased during the same time. People are downloading a song...deciding they like it and going to buy the album.
    That's what music thieves tell themselves to justify their theft of music. Have any links to back that claim?

Here's one suggesting just the opposite:

Music's lost decade: Sales cut in half

...at the end of last year, the music business was worth half of what it was ten years ago and the decline doesn't look like it will be slowing anytime soon.

Although the Recording Industry Association of America will report its official figures in the early spring, the trend has been very clear: RIAA has reported declining revenue in nine of the past 10 years, with album sales falling an average of 8% each year. <snipped>

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    That's what music thieves tell themselves to justify their theft of music. Have any links to back that claim?

Here's one suggesting just the opposite:

Music's lost decade: Sales cut in half

yeah, and how much would that have been different if the RIAA and their ilk had embraced download technology from the beginning instead of being assholes about it.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Oh poor babies.

I bought Neil Young and Led Zeppelin in vinyl and 8 track.
    I bought Donna Summer and Eric Clapton in Vinyl and Cassette.
    I bought Duran Duran, Vangelis, Depeche Mode, and Go Gos in cassette and CD.

I have bought Grateful Dead and artists in every medium, and I have paid for concert tickets for Zappa, Waters, BB King, Eric Clapton, Jerry Garcia, Springstein, Talking Heads, Genesis, Go Gos, Donna Summer, Mutants, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Herbie Hancock, The Shirelles, Fred Flowers, Monty Rock, Blood Sweat and Tears, and Grace Jones.

And I have paid to replace my entire collection once because it was stolen.
    And now I have paid to replace most of my collection in MP3 form.

The songs I got for "free" were not available elsewhere for the most part, but even if they were I had already bought these songs at least twice before.

In short, I have done my part. If Donna Summer didn't save her pennies when i was raining gold on her head, it's not my fault. I have done my part.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    yeah, and how much would that have been different if the RIAA and their ilk had embraced download technology from the beginning instead of being assholes about it.
    I have no idea and don't really feel like doing any number crunching.

I just kick a huge kick out of people that steal music but really think they aren't stealing music.