Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Sonnabend
    Vegemite, now there's some nasty stuff.
    It's delicious...especially with cheese or hundreds and thousands :D Right now it's all I can eat...I caught a nasty gastro bug :mad:

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    They're not correct. There actually is a source document that provides much more accurate data than <snort> Pravda, from the CDC, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/vsus/VSUS_1937_1.pdf, it seems that the death rate actually declined during the Depression. Here's the re.event passage:

DEATH RATE TREND.-In1937 there were 1,450,427 registered deaths In the United States. Using an estimated midyear populationof 129,257,000, the crudedeathrate is 11.2 per 1,000.
    This rate ,though slightly lower than the rate for 1936,Is not greatlydifferent from those for the past several years.In 1900,the first year for which annual mortality statistics were compiled,the crude death rate was 17.6.The trend of the rate since that year has been generally downward,although there has been an occasional year or high mortality. The lowest death rate for this period of time is Tor 1933,for which year the rate is 10.7.
    In other words, four years after the Wall Street crash, the death rate was the lowest it had been in years. An honest man would admit his error and acknowledge that during the worst economic catastrophe in its history, the capitalist system proved far more resilient than any communist state, even during times of plenty. As for what a dishonest man would do, let's await Wei's reply.
    Yeah, I pretty much figured it wasn't. I was just pointing out the difference between an economic and ecological disaster (dust bowl) and the political killings that were going on in Europe at the time (Russia and Germany).

Banned
    More people are starving to death today than during the depression in 3rd world countries because of stupid politicians (D & R) decision to use corn in making Ethanol. Using a food source has decreased the supply and the price has shot up. Even Al Gore says using corn to make fuel was a bad idea. People in poor countries spend 50% on their income on food.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    More people are starving to death today than during the depression in 3rd world countries because of stupid politicians (D & R) decision to use corn in making Ethanol. Using a food source has decreased the supply and the price has shot up. Even Al Gore says using corn to make fuel was a bad idea. People in poor countries spend 50% on their income on food.
    particularly since ethanol can be made out of non-food stuff (aka the grass clippings from ones lawn mower). On top of that Ethanol is bad for cars. Even the automakers and engine manufactures are waking up to that and trying to stop an increase in the amount put into our gas.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/118812689.html
    Briggs & Stratton Co. and other engine manufacturers want the government to ensure that current grades of gasoline will remain available when fuel with a higher ethanol content - which could damage engines - is introduced as soon as this summer.

The manufacturers, represented by the Outdoor Power Equipment Institute and 11 other trade groups, have petitioned the Environmental Protection Agency to require the continued availability of gasoline with no more than 10% ethanol content.

Ethanol is a fuel additive made from corn. The EPA has approved a 15% blend for newer-model vehicles that could be available this summer, according to petitioners that represent Wisconsin engine makers Briggs & Stratton, Mercury Marine Inc., Kohler Co., BRP Inc., and companies in other states.

The higher ethanol blend, E15, could damage or ruin millions of engines, according to the manufacturers, because their products were not designed to run on fuel with more than 10% ethanol in it.

Overheating and engine performance are among the problems that face owners of boats, lawn mowers and other outdoor power products if they're mistakenly fueled with E15.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    particularly since ethanol can be made out of non-food stuff (aka the grass clippings from ones lawn mower). On top of that Ethanol is bad for cars. Even the automakers and engine manufactures are waking up to that and trying to stop an increase in the amount put into our gas.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/118812689.html

My grandpa always said that ethanol was bad for engines. He's a retired automotive engineer. He always told me to avoid gas with ethanol, but now that's pretty hard to do these days.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    My grandpa always said that ethanol was bad for engines. He's a retired automotive engineer. He always told me to avoid gas with ethanol, but now that's pretty hard to do these days.
    Mobile gas stations are suppose to have either none or the lest possible...downside is we don't have a lot of them around by me

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    Yeah, I pretty much figured it wasn't. I was just pointing out the difference between an economic and ecological disaster (dust bowl) and the political killings that were going on in Europe at the time (Russia and Germany).
    No argument, but once I found that, I had to rub Wei's nose in it, assuming that he bothers to come back and check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    It's delicious...especially with cheese or hundreds and thousands :D Right now it's all I can eat...I caught a nasty gastro bug :mad:
    Okay, you eat vegemite and have a nasty gastro bug, but you don't see any connection? :D
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    And, the higher food prices are causing much of the unrest in the Middle East. It's a leftist trifecta, higher fuel prices, famine and violence.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!