Thread: A gentleman should NEVER wear shorts

Hybrid View

1. #1 A gentleman should NEVER wear shorts 
    A gentleman should NEVER wear shorts, warns male fashion guru Tom Ford

By Daniel Bates
    Last updated at 10:35 AM on 28th March 2011

With the promise of warmer weather many men may be tempted to pull on a pair of shorts.

However, before exposing those hairy legs to the world, a word of warning from one of the world’s experts in male fashion: Gentlemen don’t wear shorts. U.S. designer Tom Ford says they should not be worn in the summer even if the temperature becomes unbearable. They are simply ‘never appropriate’.

He says it is acceptable to wear shorts or flip-flops only on the tennis court or the beach.

The source of the designer’s gripe is not clear, although there is little doubt that shorts and flip-flops are extremely casual compared to the luxurious clothes he sells at his own boutiques. Ford may have also been horrified by the typical uniform of the British male in summer, a combination of football shorts and sports-themed flip-flops. In a magazine interview he outlined the five steps that are necessary to be a ‘modern gentleman’, which included manners.

‘I always open doors for women, I carry their coat,’ he said. ‘Stand up when people arrive at and leave the dinner table.’

Also, according to Ford a gentleman today ‘has to work’. He said: ‘People who do not work are so boring.’

In a possible nod to the recent travails of fellow designer John Galliano, who was filmed making anti-Semitic remarks, he says that a gentleman should not be racist or snobbish.

He also claimed that you should always look your best when you leave the house, as a mark of ‘respect’ to other people – a rule which extends to shorts.
    He opens doors and acts nice - he can guru my fashion anytime. :)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz1HwwiBHAf

Sounds like someone cut too many pairs of long pants off the line this year. :D

I recently stood up when a woman (who was not my SO) sat at our table and the three other people with us looked at me like I had six heads.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Sounds like someone cut too many pairs of long pants off the line this year. :D

I recently stood up when a woman (who was not my SO) sat at our table and the three other people with us looked at me like I had six heads.
    Good manners are their own reward. Anybody can act like they were raised by wolves but acting politely is a real skill. ;)

Well, I guess I'll never be a "true gentleman" then because I'm not giving up my shorts and flip flops.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

What kills me is the double standard between men and women and how we dress in the work place. I'm required to wear a shirt and tie to work. I'm allowed causal shoes but not sandals or flip flops. Women on the other hand basically get to wear what ever they damn well please. They can wear shorts - they just call them and suddenly they are acceptable. Through a couple of beads on the flip flops and suddenly those are acceptable too - and DAMN IT! If I have to wear a tie women should be required to wear nylons!
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    What kills me is the double standard between men and women and how we dress in the work place. I'm required to wear a shirt and tie to work. I'm allowed causal shoes but not sandals or flip flops. Women on the other hand basically get to wear what ever they damn well please. They can wear shorts - they just call them and suddenly they are acceptable. Through a couple of beads on the flip flops and suddenly those are acceptable too - and DAMN IT! If I have to wear a tie women should be required to wear nylons!
    How would they no if your wearing shorts?
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

I've worked in the service industry where men and women both had to wear ties.

I also worked in places where I had to wear a tie and the women were all in low cut shirts...most of them overweight and pretty gross...

Where do you work? We are not allowed to wear flip flops. We also are not allowed to be bare-legged, unless it is casual day. If I wear a dress, I am expected to wear hose or tights, and socks or knee-highs with pants.

The only violation I commit on a regular basis is wearing leggings as pants. Leggings are cheap, washable and I wear nice, oversized tops with them.