Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    This moron has obviously not spent a lot of time in FL during the summer. :mad::D
    May the FORCE be with you!

The guy apparently makes exceptions for the beach or other ultra casual settings. He's talking about wearing shorts in other settings.

CaughtintheMiddle1990

The attitude espoused in that article is very old fashioned...I think it was back in our grandfathers', or great grandfather's day when shorts were considered clothes only for boys to wear; When a boy became a man, he wore pants. It's a very old fashioned attitude and personally, I don't care for it. I'm old fashioned in my own ways with fashion (I'd prefer we wore slacks instead of jeans, for example). But I love shorts.
    His attitude reflects the position that people should dress for the occasion. While I don't know if masculine shorts should be banned from the shopping mall, I do know that people would feel more like grown-ups if they took a little more care to dress for the activity.

Offices, funerals, places of worship, important social events, important personal business events, and some cultural or entertainment events could do with a formal approach to dress. You don't have to rearrange your entire life to put on real shoes, cover up some skin, and make sure your underwear isn't on public display.

It isn't any harder to wear clothes that send a "competent adult" message instead of a "giant 12 year old" message. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    What kills me is the double standard between men and women and how we dress in the work place. I'm required to wear a shirt and tie to work. I'm allowed causal shoes but not sandals or flip flops. Women on the other hand basically get to wear what ever they damn well please. They can wear shorts - they just call them and suddenly they are acceptable. Through a couple of beads on the flip flops and suddenly those are acceptable too - and DAMN IT! If I have to wear a tie women should be required to wear nylons!

Where do you work? We are not allowed to wear flip flops. We also are not allowed to be bare-legged, unless it is casual day. If I wear a dress, I am expected to wear hose or tights, and socks or knee-highs with pants.

The only violation I commit on a regular basis is wearing leggings as pants. Leggings are cheap, washable and I wear nice, oversized tops with them.

When it's above 100 degrees you are lucky if i keep my shirt on
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Where do you work? We are not allowed to wear flip flops. We also are not allowed to be bare-legged, unless it is casual day. If I wear a dress, I am expected to wear hose or tights, and socks or knee-highs with pants.

The only violation I commit on a regular basis is wearing leggings as pants. Leggings are cheap, washable and I wear nice, oversized tops with them.
    I work in a school. remember? :p Female teachers basically get to wear what ever they like except jeans. Men are expected to wear a dress shirt and tie - it's a glaring double standard.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I wear shorts in the wintertime. To hell with this prancing nancy-boy.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The guy apparently makes exceptions for the beach or other ultra casual settings. He's talking about wearing shorts in other settings.

His attitude reflects the position that people should dress for the occasion. While I don't know if masculine shorts should be banned from the shopping mall, I do know that people would feel more like grown-ups if they took a little more care to dress for the activity.

Offices, funerals, places of worship, important social events, important personal business events, and some cultural or entertainment events could do with a formal approach to dress. You don't have to rearrange your entire life to put on real shoes, cover up some skin, and make sure your underwear isn't on public display.

It isn't any harder to wear clothes that send a "competent adult" message instead of a "giant 12 year old" message. ;)
    I agree with you that we've become farrrr too informal in our dress.
    For example, my sister and her husband got MARRIED (granted, it was a city hall wedding but the principle still stands) wearing jeans and shorts. My parents got married in a city hall wedding too, but at least they dressed up.

My cousin got married a few years ago, and all the men were wearing open suits--no tie. Personally I believe for weddings and the like, men should wear tuxes.

Finally, a few years ago my niece got baptized. I was the godfather. I was also the only one wearing a suit and tie. Her father even just wore a workman's jacket and informal clothes.