Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I'm sure her ob-gyn knew she was a vegan. The doc should have arranged for some nutritional counseling for her at some point.

I do wonder why the parents didn't take the baby in as soon as she stopped gaining weight, though. I know newborns sometimes lose a little weight in the first week but after that any weight loss should have cause for concern.
    State run healthcare, you think the docs bothered to find out? I doubt it.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    It's France, they don't have the death penalty there.
    But they do have "free" healthcare.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    OK, first of all, this bullshit that a vegan diet is a bad thing is just that, bullshit. It's perfectly healthy as long as the person does it CORRECTLY.

Vitamin A sources (wiki page)
    carrot (835 μg 93%)
    broccoli leaf (800 μg 89%) – According to USDA database broccoli florets have much less.[10]
    sweet potato (709 μg 79%)
    butter (684 μg 76%)
    kale (681 μg 76%)
    spinach (469 μg 52%)
    pumpkin (400 μg 41%)
    collard greens (333 μg 37%)
    Cheddar cheese (265 μg 29%)
    cantaloupe melon (169 μg 19%)
    Vitamin B12
    A number of reliable vegan food sources for vitamin B12 are known. One brand of nutritional yeast, Red Star T-6635+, has been tested and shown to contain active vitamin B12. This brand of yeast is often labeled as Vegetarian Support Formula with or without T-6635+ in parentheses following this new name. It is a reliable source of vitamin B12. Nutritional yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is a food yeast, grown on a molasses solution, which comes as yellow flakes or powder. It has a cheesy taste. Nutritional yeast is different from brewer’s yeast or torula yeast. those sensitive to other yeasts can often use it.

The RDA for adults for vitamin B12 is 2.4 micrograms daily (1). About 2 rounded teaspoons of large flake Vegetarian Support Formula (Red Star T-6635+) nutritional yeast provides the recommended amount of vitamin B12 for adults (2). A number of the recipes in this book contain nutritional yeast.

Another source of vitamin B12 is fortified cereal. For example, Nature’s Path Optimum Power cereal does contain vitamin B12 at this time and about a half cup of this cereal will provide 2.4 micrograms of vitamin B12 (3). We recommend checking the label of your favorite cereal since manufacturers have been known to stop including vitamin B12.

Other sources of vitamin B12 are vitamin B12 fortified soy milk, vitamin B12 fortified meat analogues (food made from wheat gluten or soybeans to resemble meat, poultry, or fish), and vitamin B12 supplements. There are vitamin supplements that do not contain animal products.
    The problem is that this woman didn't do the necessary thing she needed to take care of both herself and her child if all she was going to do was breast feed. I doubt very much that this woman was given appropriate nutritional information on top of that she was 37 which is hard enough on their bodies at that age.

besides this kid should have been eating solid food at 11 months old too.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    OK, first of all, this bullshit that a vegan diet is a bad thing is just that, bullshit. It's perfectly healthy as long as the person does it CORRECTLY.

Vitamin A sources (wiki page)

Vitamin B12

The problem is that this woman didn't do the necessary thing she needed to take care of both herself and her child if all she was going to do was breast feed. I doubt very much that this woman was given appropriate nutritional information on top of that she was 37 which is hard enough on their bodies at that age.

besides this kid should have been eating solid food at 11 months old too.
    Most of my vegetarian relatives are pudgy butterballs from eating too much desert.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Most of my vegetarian relatives are pudgy butterballs from eating too much desert.
    and they always look pasty sick. lol

have at it veggie boy. When the nazi zombie invasion happens I bet you get eaten first!
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

hey, you know that us Adventist make some damn good deserts ;) :p

from a case study of 34,000 Adventist in 2000 that are vegetatarian (not vegan) so they do eat some dairy, but shows that a non-meat diet is perfectly healthy
    Generally it was found that among the non-Hispanic Californian population, those identified as Seventh Day Adventists lived longer, on the average of 7.3 extra years for men, and 4.42 more years for women.
    Among the Adventist population itself, it was found that high physical activity, frequent consumption of nuts, vegetarian status, and medium body mass index each result in an approximate 1.5- to 2.5-years gain in life expectancy. Hypertension accounts for the loss of 4.2 and 3.2 years and diabetes for the loss of 4.6 and 8.6 years in men and women, respectively.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/022599_ve...#ixzz1I22M6lDf

There is absolutely no doubt about that!:D
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    I gained weight on vegetarian diet. This was because my favorite vegetarian foods are pasta salad and peanut butter sandwiches.

The big Cheese

from a case study of 34,000 Adventist in 2000 that are vegetatarian (not vegan) so they do eat some dairy, but shows that a non-meat diet is perfectly healthy
    for some maybe but one cannot say it is perfect for all.

I didnt realize you were a bunny. j/k but are you adverse to consuming whey protien powder?
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    for some maybe but one cannot say it is perfect for all.

I didnt realize you were a bunny. j/k but are you adverse to consuming whey protien powder?
    no, I eat meat and dairy, but stick to traditional Jewish dietary laws on what kinds (aka, no Pork, shellfish, organ meat, etc)