Hybrid View

1. #1 George Washington 
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I started reading Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow the other day, damn is it good. Since the Flexner bio was done 60 years ago, more documentation has been released that brings out more of Washington's character.

WOW! I'm only up to his early 20's and he accomplished so much, pulled himself up from not having enough corn to feed his horse due to his mother's inability to manage the Ferry Farm that he grew up on, to owning 2,300 acres and having a good amount of money on his own, all by the time he was 18. At this point older half brother Lawrence owned Mount Vernon, which he named after his Commander during The War of Jenkin's Ear, Admiral Edward Vernon.

What has really caught my eye, is Washington's assignment leading up to the French and Indian War. He was sent out to deliver a letter from King George II to the French to remove themselves from the Ohio Valley. On his way there he met with the Half King and started practicing his diplomacy skills. After asking Half King to join him as a guide and spokesman of sorts for the Indian tribes that are allied with the British. what ensues is something straight out of a action movie. He reached the French fort and talks with the Commander, where Washington takes maticulus notes about the French strength and is sent on his way. Abondend by his Indian Guides and accompanied by Christopher Gist, and Half King they head out, Half King leaves the two of them and they set out by themselves where they finally encounter some French Indians that lead them the wrong way the try and kill him and Gist. Escaping from the Indian's they reach a river and try to cross it with on a raft made with a crappy axe, but get stuck in the middle. This is the middle of winter and they have to wait out the night on a freezing river where Gist get's frostbite on his fingers and toes. They make their escape and return to Virgina.

I never knew this about Washington, the man was amazing this incident happened when he was only 21. The only Washington we hear about is the stoic man who lead the troops and became the first President. The man was so full of life and accomplished so much even though both his father and older brother (who was like a 2nd Father) died before he was 20.

I really am surprised no one has attempted to make a movie on his life as he's usually a background character.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I started reading Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow the other day, damn is it good. Since the Flexner bio was done 60 years ago, more documentation has been released that brings out more of Washington's character.

WOW! I'm only up to his early 20's and he accomplished so much, pulled himself up from not having enough corn to feed his horse due to his mother's inability to manage the Ferry Farm that he grew up on, to owning 2,300 acres and having a good amount of money on his own, all by the time he was 18. At this point older half brother Lawrence owned Mount Vernon, which he named after his Commander during The War of Jenkin's Ear, Admiral Edward Vernon.

What has really caught my eye, is Washington's assignment leading up to the French and Indian War. He was sent out to deliver a letter from King George II to the French to remove themselves from the Ohio Valley. On his way there he met with the Half King and started practicing his diplomacy skills. After asking Half King to join him as a guide and spokesman of sorts for the Indian tribes that are allied with the British. what ensues is something straight out of a action movie. He reached the French fort and talks with the Commander, where Washington takes maticulus notes about the French strength and is sent on his way. Abondend by his Indian Guides and accompanied by Christopher Gist, and Half King they head out, Half King leaves the two of them and they set out by themselves where they finally encounter some French Indians that lead them the wrong way the try and kill him and Gist. Escaping from the Indian's they reach a river and try to cross it with on a raft made with a crappy axe, but get stuck in the middle. This is the middle of winter and they have to wait out the night on a freezing river where Gist get's frostbite on his fingers and toes. They make their escape and return to Virgina.

I never knew this about Washington, the man was amazing this incident happened when he was only 21. The only Washington we hear about is the stoic man who lead the troops and became the first President. The man was so full of life and accomplished so much even though both his father and older brother (who was like a 2nd Father) died before he was 20.

I really am surprised no one has attempted to make a movie on his life as he's usually a background character.
    Be careful with rewritten history's.These days there is a move to rewrite history in favor of the progressive ideals.It becomes more apparent when older works of history are compared with the newer novels and Faux history's.

Are you aware that Washington applied for a British Military Officers Commision and was refused ?

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Be careful with rewritten history's.These days there is a move to rewrite history in favor of the progressive ideals.It becomes more apparent when older works of history are compared with the newer novels and Faux history's.

Are you aware that Washington applied for a British Military Officers Commision and was refused ?
    I haven't gotten very far into the book, nor Have I read a lot on Washington outside of what has been in stuff on the Revolution. Chernow has done extensive research, and his biography is focused on Washington as a person. I'm not saying he didn't have his faults, far from it. He lacked a formal education (only Founding Father not to have gone to College), and was quite the hot tempered youth, and complained a lot particularly about how little he was being paid for his position and how being a Colonel in the provisional militia had t take orders from a Capitan in the Royal Army.

I haven't read anything that would be a "rewrite" of history so far in this bio

What has really caught my eye, is Washington's assignment leading up to the French and Indian War. He was sent out to deliver a letter from King George II to the French to remove themselves from the Ohio Valley.
    That was an interesting episode which let to the first truly World War (Seven Years War); Washington was Gavrilo Princip!

What is skipped over in most early American history is what was going on elsewhere during the French and Indian War. The other irony is that after the British effectively eliminated the French in North America (with small exceptions), they wanted the colonies to help pay for it and our Founders revolted. Thanks, Brits, now get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    That was an interesting episode which let to the first truly World War (Seven Years War); Washington was Gavrilo Princip!

What is skipped over in most early American history is what was going on elsewhere during the French and Indian War. The other irony is that after the British effectively eliminated the French in North America (with small exceptions), they wanted the colonies to help pay for it and our Founders revolted. Thanks, Brits, now get out.
    You glance over the part where the Colonials contributed more man power then the British did, and suffered along the frontier alot more then the British did for that war. Or how much money the colonies forked over to finance the war while it was happening.
    Last edited by djones520; 03-30-2011 at 10:46 AM.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post

the French also started the War by encroaching on British territory in the Ohio River Valley, which was what Washington's mission was about, Telling the French to get the hell out

the French also started the War by encroaching on British territory in the Ohio River Valley, which was what Washington's mission was about, Telling the French to get the hell out
    Well, if I recall correctly, the French claim was stronger then the British claim to the Ohio Valley, but I'm not 100% on that.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Well, if I recall correctly, the French claim was stronger then the British claim to the Ohio Valley, but I'm not 100% on that.
    only because they had started building forts there, They owned Wisconsin and parts of Michigan at the time, but where trying to claim land from the Mississippi to the St Lawrence

The story of George Washington & Fort Duquesne is one of my favorites. I have told that story to many people over the years. It actually is a pretty funny story, and about 15 years later George will use his French contacts against the British. But for now - at the age of 21-23 - George considers himself a loyal British subject.

Do not, as you read, overlook the fact that George was 6'4" tall in an age where the average man was closer to 5'6". His regal bearing, towering height, and silent manner all contributed to his success. When he walked into a room people must have thought, "Who the hell is THAT?"

Not only that, but the Colonist weren't against paying their part for the war, what they were upset about was that they were being treated as second class citizens as they were A) self governed for well over 150 years by this point, B) British Citizens and were covered under British Law. They were not given a voice in Parliament as they were entitled too under said law.