Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Social Wednesday! 
    It will get into the 50s out here but it will also be windy. I wish the weather would settle down so I could do some things in the garden. :(

TOTD: Social events: parties, reunions, first dates, obligatory calls on barely known relatives, weddings, funerals, networking events, conferences, and holiday get-togethers.

Which do you love and which do you hate? Describe a social event that you had to attend that was like being skinned alive over a couple of hours. Name one that turned out to be much more fun than you thought it would be. Are weddings really "fun" for the guests? Did you ever do anything disastrous at a party? :D

Finally seasonably mild here today, but we may be in for some unseasonable white global warming soon.

TOTD: All of the above are on my hate list. That's why I don't do them.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Finally seasonably mild here today, but we may be in for some unseasonable white global warming soon.

TOTD: All of the above are on my hate list. That's why I don't do them.
    You have to do some of them. I think children's birthday parties are pretty unendurable followed by wedding receptions (unless you know the couple very well). Cocktail parties and BBQs are much more enjoyable.

Holiday get-togethers and parties are my favorite. Our neighborhood averages about one party a week (sometimes more) both planned and unplanned and we have a blast (and no one has to worry about driving ... just walking). My house has become the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    You have to do some of them. I think children's birthday parties are pretty unendurable followed by wedding receptions (unless you know the couple very well). Cocktail parties and BBQs are much more enjoyable.

You'd be surprised. I am really good at generating plausible excuses, even if it means I have to injure myself.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Holiday get-togethers and parties are my favorite. Our neighborhood averages about one party a week (sometimes more) both planned and unplanned and we have a blast (and no one has to worry about driving ... just walking). My house has become the pub.
    I love the spontaneous neighborhood parties! To tell the truth, the more hyper-planned a party is, the worse it seems to be.

I love the little kiddie parties. One of my favorite things was going to the birthday parties of my niece's little girl who has asperger's syndrome. She's the world's sweetest little girl. I treasured sharing those times, watching her transform from a child so shy that the other kids opened her presents for her to a gracious little hostess who ran around with the pack of other kids.

I admit I hated being a tour guide at the St Louis Zoo, helping with birthday parties. I quit that volunteer job and became a docent (worked through the educational division) and became an animal handler. That was much more fun.

The differnece was I loved my favorite little girl.. The kids at the zoo became merely annoying and loud. Some of the parents were worse, demanding that the volunteers tote their heavy coolers, etc. One woman in designer clothes and higher heels at the ZOO demanded that I tote all their stuff for her. I was so ticked that I told her I was a volunteer and couldn't lift all that stuff. (They were being cheap, as all the food could have been purchased at the zoo, which usually was done for birthday parties. They were cheap bastards.) :p
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I love the little kiddie parties. One of my favorite things was going to the birthday parties of my niece's little girl who has asperger's syndrome. She's the world's sweetest little girl. I treasured sharing those times, watching her transform from a child so shy that the other kids opened her presents for her to a gracious little hostess who ran around with the pack of other kids.

I admit I hated being a tour guide at the St Louis Zoo, helping with birthday parties. I quit that volunteer job and became a docent (worked through the educational division) and became an animal handler. That was much more fun.

The differnece was I loved my favorite little girl.. The kids at the zoo became merely annoying and loud. Some of the parents were worse, demanding that the volunteers tote their heavy coolers, etc. One woman in designer clothes and higher heels at the ZOO demanded that I tote all their stuff for her. I was so ticked that I told her I was a volunteer and couldn't lift all that stuff. (They were being cheap, as all the food could have been purchased at the zoo, which usually was done for birthday parties. They were cheap bastards.) :p
    Well, that's the difference. The kid parties I attend are for other people's kids. ;)

Well, that's the difference. The kid parties I attend are for other people's kids. ;)
    The best kids around.

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    The best kids around.
    So I've heard. Luckily, when my "kids" start to get annoying I can throw them outside or sell them. :)